Chapter 9: Conversations

~Lucy's POV~

"Are you sure you're feeling okay Lucy?" My father called out from across the dining room table. I immediately dropped my fork, its metal tongs clashing against the china. My body shivered with nerves as everyone jumped from the sudden noise. 

"Yea, just a little out of it." I tried forcing out an innocent laugh to hide my curiosity. My mind continued to ponder what was going through Natsu's mind. I shifted my gaze to him, his eyes peering into mine. As if I could read his mind, I nodded my head. I was fine, just a little distracted from our previous conversation. 

"You've hardly touched your food." My father's fork swung in front of my plate. I shook my head and looked down at the platter of amazing food. A bundle of peas were scattered around a mound of mashed potatoes. Shreds of turkey were also piled up like logs. I didn't set my own plate, it was here when I came back. 

"Well, I'm just not ver-"

"Lucy, may I talk to you please?" Anna interrupted suddenly. We all stared wide eye at her sudden outburst. I don't think I've ever heard Anna cut a conversation short. 

"Sure," I replied timidly. Our chairs squeaking across the floor increased the heavy tension. I stood up with as much confidence and gusto that I could possibly manage. The room grew quiet as we left. I found myself exiting the house, standing on the front porch. 

"Is there something wrong?" I asked with concern in my voice. I felt like I was wearing a choker around my neck. My emotions, nerves, and thoughts were all over the place. 

"I think I should be asking you that question." Her once warm voice turned cold with fear. She peered out onto the lawn, her onyx eyes glittering against the natural light. 

"How did you know?" I mumbled, staring down at the wooden ledge. The white paint was beginning to chip into unique crystal-like shapes. My fingers started playing with the paint chips before I could even comprehend it. 

"Well," she hesitated a moment. "It's written all over your face. Both you and Natsu look miserable." The wind whistled through her stringy grey hair, flowing like the ocean waves. 

"Oh," was all I could manage to reply. I didn't know what else to say to her.

"I knew Natsu had been acting different. He didn't call as often." I nodded, letting the fresh air weave through my lungs. 

"I'm sorry Anna," I mumbled quietly. I continued to stare down into the cracks of the balcony. Each crack split into new and different cracks, kind of like life. Every decision we make can have many possible outcomes, which leads to even more outcomes. The butterfly effect. 

"It's not your fault dear." Her hand found mine, shaking it with a smile. Although she was smiling, she had tears in her eyes. "I just wanted to talk." She tore away from my gaze, exposing a full portrait of her face. I shared her sadness, fear, emotions. No mother wants to see their child upset. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you so much for allowing us to stay for dinner." Anna gave my dad a warming hug. Natsu and I were standing back beside the fireplace, awkwardly watching. 

"It was no trouble, thank you for coming." My dad replied politely. The room was very odd. Tension was surrounding half of the room, a warm feeling emitting from the opposite side. 

"There's a party tomorrow at the house. You should come." My train of thought was instantly disrupted. 

"Only if you want me too." I glanced at his face, his eyes staring forward. 

"Of course I-" 

"Come on Natsu, we've been here long enough. We wouldn't want to overstay our visit." Anna smiled over towards us, motioning for Natsu. 

"I'll be out there in a second. I just wanted to talk to Lucy about something." He yelled from across the room. She exited through the front door. My dad's eyebrows rose from a wave of realization. He followed her out the large archway.

"I don't really have much time to explain," Natsu jabbered as the door clicked shut. 

"It's okay," I hesitated. "We can always talk another time." I tried not to sound disappointed, but I truly was. His secret had been eating away at my brain all night.

"You can stay in one of the spare bedrooms after the party if you would like. We could always talk then." 

"Sure," I replied bluntly. I guess it did beat the regular, old dorm. 

"Alright, well," he held my hand. I flinched slightly, but all remained calm. "I'll see you tomorrow I guess." He let go and started walking towards the door way. 

"Natsu?" I blurted out as he distanced himself from me. 

"Yea?" He questioned, turning on his heels. 

"I-I," What was I even trying to say? I had a sudden recollection of all of our memories, and it just hit me so hard. I did miss him. I missed his soft pink hair, his extremely structured cheek and collar bones, I missed every inch of his body. I yearned for interaction, but I had to let my hopes simmer. "Thanks for coming tonight." 

I had to make up some kind of excuse for my outburst. That would've been so awkward. 

The hopeful look on his face fell, a sullen one taking it's place. "Yea, no problem." He pushed his hands into his leather pockets, and once again headed for the door. 

With no reason in my head, I ran towards him, hugging him from behind. My body clashed with his back, a random jerky motion. At first, we fell silent, only the leather squeaking from his jacket bouncing into the air. 

In one swift motion, he spun around, his hands wrapping around my back. My head found his chest.

There's that sweet smell that I had missed so much.