Chapter 6: Friends?

~Lucy's POV~

"Hey, so uh," the line went silent. "Can you come over for a little while? I think we need to talk." My first thought was actually a question. Who was I even talking too? I wasn't used to this mono toned voice, a voice without emotion nor color. My second thought was concern.

"Uh sure. Right now?" I whispered into the telephone. My heart beat had significantly increased its pace, working so fast I might go into cardiac arrest. What could he possibly want to talk about? Did he realize his mistakes? Did he catch on to Sting's threat?

"Yea, if you're not busy or anything." This also came out as a meekly whisper. Who was this new version of Natsu? I've seen him upset before, but he seemed drained of all emotion possible.

"Alright. I'll be there soon." I shakily brought the phone away from ear, seeing my phone screen darken. I had a suspicion that something big was going to happen; something that would change my life forever. He wouldn't break up with me would he? We may have hit a few bumps in the road over the last couple of weeks, but that doesn't change the fact that we're still madly in love with each other.

My palms started to feel clammy as I stood up. I stumbled while grabbing a pair of shoes, clumsily slipping them over my feet. I grabbed my phone and headed towards our front door. Levy was out with Gajeel, but I secretly wished that she was here. If anything goes wrong, I want her to be the first person that I confide in. Other than Natsu, she knows me best.

I shakily grasped the door handle, exposing myself to our little hallway. We lived in a little house with dorms placed against the opposite walls. Other than the few communal bathrooms, there wasn't much to obtain the empty spaces. The fresh, crisp air slapped me across the face as I exited the building. We were coming onto October, another winter waiting to freeze us.

I should have brought a thicker jacket, but my mind was occupied with other thoughts. I walked across the green grass, its blades crunching underneath my feet.

Natsu wouldn't break my heart would he? He'd promised that we'd be together forever. He'd reassure me almost every day.

If it did happen, how would I even be able to live? After depending on someone for so long, what would happen if they just disappeared?

Before I could make myself even more nervous, I found myself standing before the gate. It was like my feet had knowingly carried themselves to Alpha Delta. I grasped the now rusting metal and let myself in. Surprisingly, everything looked clean from the party last night. These guys must have a connection with a cleaning company.

I tracked through the house, the boys never seemed to lock the front door. The house was still, only the faintest sound of laughter dancing through the air. I trudged my feet up the marble stairs, keeping my head low. I shakily held my wrist as I wondered through the house.

Natsu's room appeared before me, a new fear trickling down my neck. I took a deep breath and turned the door handle. There he was, laying down on his bed like he was dying. His pink hair stood out in all directions, messy but sexy.

"Hey," I said timidly. "Are you okay?" I asked as I shut the wooden door.

"Not really." He mumbled through a pillow.

"Why not?" I took a seat on the edge of the bed, scratching his back lightly.

"My heart hurts." He replied bluntly.

"Why?" I questioned nervously.

Natsu then sat up from his spot, peering into my eyes. His face was pale, eyes red. 

"Because I don't feel it anymore." He pounded his chest. "I don't love you anymore."

It was like someone had dropped a ten ton weight on my chest. My mind started running circles. I couldn't even speak I was so shocked. I broke away from his gaze, staring at the oblivion. 

"No," I whispered hoarsely. "That can't be true." I could feel the anxiety gnawing away at my brain. I allowed it to consume me. 

"You've just changed, I don't know." At this point, I lost every kind of resistance I had. 

"I've changed?" My voice started to rise in anger and frustration. "If anything you've changed. You pushed me away!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face. "You're the one that made excuses, lied. If anything, this is your fault." 

"Lucy, I-I don't even know what to say." He reached out his hand for mine, but I quickly pulled my hand away.

"Don't touch me." I said repulsively. The room then filled with awkward sobs and silence. We were both crying. "All those promises," I paused, "were they fake? Did you lie just to pity me?" 

"No," Natsu replied rather furiously. "Why do you have to doubt everything that I say?" I didn't appreciate the sass. 

"You know why I can't trust people." I replied, the anger bubbling in my stomach. "You'll never experience what I had to go through."

"That sounds like a personal issue," Natsu yelled. It got to the point where we were both screaming at each other. We stared at each other wide eyed, surprised that we had both gotten this defensive. 

"Well, you know what?" I asked quietly, anger still hot on my tongue. "I put my trust in you, but obviously that was a mistake." A flash of hurt spread across Natsu's face. I couldn't even look at him anymore. I was angry, upset, and petrified. 

"I was always there for you Lucy." Natsu said, the room becoming silent.

"Not over the last month." I fired back, my voice lightly laced with sadness. 

"People change Lucy, you can't do anything about that." 

"How can you just stop loving someone?" I asked, ignoring his philosophical bull. Natsu's mind looked blank, fresh out of a response. He sighed and nervously scratched the back of his neck. The tears continued to fall from my eyes, vision blurry. 

"I don't know Lucy, I'm sorry." I sauntered my way over towards the door, Natsu's eyes lazily following me. I couldn't take this anymore, this surely wasn't happening. 

"You're making a mistake." I replied hoarsely. My mouth tasted acidic, like I was going to throw up. 

"You think I wanted things to turn out this way?" Natsu roughly questioned. He walked over to me and  enwrapped me in a hug. For some reason, I let him. I breathed in his scent, an agonizing pain filling my chest. I shook my head, not communicating my response. 

"I think we need some time apart, but I don't want to cut the connection we have." I shook my head in his chest. I was still crying like a baby. Air was having difficulty reaching my lungs. 

"Friends?" He questioned into my hair. The word had never felt so painful. 

"Sure." 

That one word was blocking what I really wanted, Natsu.