Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I finished the tour of the rest of the house and was currently sitting—well, sprawling actually—on a sofa in the gathering room of the basement with a book spread out on my lap. I'd long lost interest in reading the western period novel about the Pony Express and was instead staring at Shelly.

Sitting next to me, her face wrinkled up in distaste as she perused though a book of her own, Alien Anatomy, that sported an illustration of a little green man with a big head standing next to a flying saucer on the cover.

"I would die before I would let any of these goo dripping tentacles touch me in any sort of manner, let alone a reproductive one," she said with a slight gag.

"Good thing Brad isn't an alien then." I laughed, and she slammed the book closed in disgust.

"Well, that's debatable," Vance added from his chair across the room where he was devouring a book on demonic cultures of the middle ages.

"Hey," Brad replied from the floor, reaching out in an attempt to slam his fist against one of Vance's boots. Vance moved too quickly, causing Brad's hand to hit the rug under his feet instead.

He chuckled and Brad groaned. "You're gonna have to try harder than that, buddy," Vance said with a grin.

Sitting up, Brad ran his hands through his sandy blond hair. "I can't take it anymore. I've got to get out of here and do something physical for a while. Is anyone interested in hiking around the area with me?"

"I'll go," I piped up, anxious to be anywhere but here at the moment. "Just let me go get my shoes on."

"Awesome." Brad smiled.

"I'll be back in a little while," I said to Vance, going over to his chair and kissing him on the cheek. "Enjoy your book."

"What stretch of the imagination has led you to believe I'd allow you to wander off alone with this depraved guy?" Vance asked, tipping his head at Brad.

Brad looked back, completely unscathed. "That's right. Look who the blood drinker is calling depraved," he ribbed. "But don't you worry, I'll take really good care of your girl."

"That's it!" Vance slammed his book shut in feigned disgust. "I'm coming with you!" Stomping across the room with purpose, he grabbed Shelly by the arm, yanking her flush against him. "You can be my date, pretty lady," he said, giving her a smoldering look. "We can't let these two have all the fun together."

Shelly blushed furiously, and I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud as Brad grabbed me by the arm, thrusting me toward Vance, yanking Shelly away from him in the process.

"You've already seduced one girl here with your charms—you don't need to add mine to the list." Brad put his arm protectively around Shelly.

"Then quit playing a game you can't possibly hope to win," Vance countered with a smirk. "You keep your girl too starved for affection. She can't help but notice my charm."

Brad snorted. "You have no idea about what she is or isn't starved for."

Shelly blushed even harder.

"Oh, I think I do, my friend, and you're just as bad off as she is," Vance taunted.

"Enough!" I laughed, jumping in to intervene before Brad felt the need to prove himself right there in front of us. "Quit being such a merciless tease," I said to Vance.

"Just trying to keep things interesting, baby." He smiled, pulling me closer for a quick kiss. "Hurry up and get your shoes on so we can get out of here."