Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I waited until after the ambulance had taken Shelly to the hospital, before I gave my report to the police officer in charge. When he was finished, Krista and I made our way back toward the bungalow.

"Excuse me," a voice called and we both turned, seeing the same woman who had described Vance earlier approaching.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I'm real sorry about your friend," she said extending her hand. "My name is Catriona, by the way, but most people call me Cat."

"Thanks," I replied and she shook hands with us both. "Nice to meet you. Are you visiting?"

"Yes. I was just arriving when all of this happened."

"Well, hopefully you'll have a better stay for the rest of the time you're here," Krista said kindly.

"I don't mean to be rude Cat, but we have to go. Maybe we'll catch you around later?" I looked at her apologetically.

"No problem," she replied with a smile. "I hope things turn out well for your friend."

"Me too. Thanks," I said. Krista and I left, continuing to the bungalows.

"Is she okay?" Vance spoke as soon as we entered, pausing in the middle of his pacing.

I stared at him, taking in his blue t-shirt and his jeans before looking back up.

"What's the matter?"

"An eyewitness came forward saying she saw someone tampering with the car." I watched his expression for any sign of guilt.

"Who was it?" he asked, convincingly.

"She described you perfectly," I replied, not wanting to believe it.

"Me?" He sent a perplexed glance between the two of us before the realization suddenly dawned. "You don't think I had anything to do with this?"

"Did you?" I countered and anger flashed over his face at my question.

"How can you even ask me that?" he said, his frustration growing. "Why would I want to hurt Shelly?"

"I don't know." I stared him down. "But I do know a few minutes prior to the explosion, Shelly saw you head out toward the lot. You were also angry with her for not telling you where the coven is located. It's a little coincidental."

"That argument took place after I'd come back in from being outside. What could've possibly been my motivation to hurt her prior to that?"

Slowly, I eased into his mind, beginning a mental shuffle through his recent memories.

"Get out of my head, Portia!" he yelled, taking a threatening step toward me. "Either you believe me because you want to, or you don't, but my mind belongs to me!" He slammed his thoughts closed so hard it was if I'd run into a brick wall. He had definitely regained control.

I took a big breath and released it. "Why won't you let me? We can clear this thing up once and for all," I replied, not willing to let the issue go.

Face flashing, the demon features took hold, and he grabbed me by both arms.

"You're going to have to learn to trust me," he growled.

I snorted. "It's kind of hard to when you look like that."

Krista stepped forward, gently placing a hand on Vance's arm. "We want to believe you, son," she said softly, trying to calm him. "Don't we, Portia?" she added casting a glance toward me.