Chapter 26

Chapter 26

The hearse was already waiting for us at the airport when we landed. Dad, Brad, the pilot, and the man from the mortuary, carried Vance's casket off the plane. I followed numbly behind them as we stepped onto the tarmac, into the hot July air of Sedona, Arizona.

A gurney was placed at the bottom of the steps, and Vance's temporary casket was put on it and rolled over to the back of the funeral vehicle. The gurney was collapsed, and the entire unit slid into the back of the car.

"Thank you for your help," my dad said, shaking the attendant's hand.

"No problem, Mr. Mullins. We'll take care of everything from here," he replied.

"I do have one request," Dad spoke up again. "We already know what the cause of death was, so we'd like to ask that you not perform an autopsy."

"Not a problem, sir. We already received an official fax from the coroner saying an autopsy was not necessary," the man replied.

"Wonderful," my dad said. "Also because of our religious beliefs, we ask that the body not be embalmed either."

"I'll be sure that's added into the notes, although it seems as if I remember that request already being on there."

"That's good," Dad said. "I just wanted to double check. We'll be in touch with you over the final funeral arrangements soon."

Rooted to the spot, I watched the car carry Vance away from me, feeling the pain of his absence acutely. My dad didn't rush me, instead waiting patiently beside me until I turned to go toward the waiting vehicle.

"A coroner never examined the body," I stated as we walked together.

"I know," he replied with a sigh. "I pulled a few strings. We don't know if Vance's demon DNA might have brought up unusual results in an autopsy. We figured it was best to bypass it."

Opening the door to the waiting SUV, he allowed me to climb in the front next to him. Everyone else was already inside.

"We need to have the funeral as soon as possible, Portia," he added as he started the vehicle.

"Why?" I asked, not even wanting to think about it.

"Because we aren't embalming the body. He will . . . ," he glanced apologetically at me, "decay much faster."

The thought made me feel ill.

"Of course, we'll help you with anything you need," he offered.

"I don't think we should plan anything until Krista wakes up," I replied, running a hand through my hair. "He's her only child, and he died trying to save her. She needs to be involved in this, too."

"You're right. Hopefully she'll be awake before too long."

"Don't rush her into this hell," I responded softly. "Let her be blissfully unaware for as long as she possibly can be."

Unspeaking, we drove through town, and I couldn't help but notice all the places that held memories of Vance for me. It became too overwhelming, and I finally had to close my eyes, leaving them shut until we pulled up at our house. When I opened them again, though, it was to find the yard filled with the members of our coven and their families, who waited to greet us. I wasn't in the mood to meet anyone right now, but I knew they all meant well.

Dad got out of the car and came around to open my door. I stepped out of the vehicle and into the waiting arms of Babs who hugged me so tightly I thought I might never breathe again.