Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I woke less than an hour later when I heard all the voices of the coven members entering the condo in high chatter.

"Shhhh!" Vance hissed quickly, from the other room. "Portia's sleeping."

"Sorry!" Someone whispered apologetically, as I was climbing off the bed.

"It's all right. I'm awake," I said as I walked out the bedroom door, running my hands through my hair trying to smooth it. "How did things go?" I looked around at their bright faces.

"Have I ever told you how awesome your mother is?" my dad said, smiling as he grabbed her around the waist from behind, leaning over her shoulder to kiss her on the cheek. "She walked in there like a pro, fooling everyone. She even snowed me, and I knew who she was."

"He's blowing it all out of proportion," Mom laughed as she waved him off. "I just met the realtor lady, walked in to look around, and took a quick minute to speak to a couple of the guys who were unloading the truck from Cummings Enterprises. I asked them how they liked the facilities. Piece of cake really."

"And she learned the truck was delivering the same long, narrow crates we found at the other warehouses," Dad added, giving her shoulders a squeeze.

"I only asked them if they found easy access to the loading dock," she replied, shaking her head at Dad. "It just so happened, the truck was open while I was talking to them."

"Did the men seem suspicious at all?" Vance piped up, looking worried about it.

"Not that I could tell," Mom answered, looking at him. "They were very kind to me, actually."

"That's because they thought she was hot," Dad said, with a knowing grin. "They were totally checking her out." A stormy look suddenly passed over his face. "Dang it! I should have stormed in and punched them both!"

"Easy, Dad!" I laughed, as I patted him on the shoulder. "Try to step it down a notch."

"Tell them what else you did," Dad smiled, giving Mom a little nudge of encouragement.

"Well, I happened to place a microphone on the premises," she replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"A microphone! She did it all on her own!" Dad exclaimed, sounding totally amazed. "I didn't even know she'd taken one out of my briefcase. She's a natural at this stuff!"

Vance leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees.

"So we'll have audio with our video tonight?" he asked, lifting an eyebrow in interest.

"Yes, we will," Dad replied, nodding excitedly, as he continued to proudly pat my mom on the shoulder.

"That's great!" Vance said, a slight smile moving across his face. "Good job, Stacey."

"Thanks." She smiled and looked around at everybody. "Well, I guess I need to go change so I can get dinner for this brood started. We need to get everyone fed before you all have to take off again."

"You want me start cooking anything for you?" I called after her as she walked down the hall, toward the door.

"I bought stuff we can grill tonight," she called over her shoulder. "You can start the coals in the barbeque grill out on the patio if you'd like."

I did as she asked, and after several minutes the coals were ready for cooking, though Dad insisted on being the grill master, since it was a "man's job" as he put it. I didn't argue with him, but I realized I'd never understand the whole male testosterone fascination with cooking outdoors.