Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Though I was excited to go on this outing, I indulged myself and took a little extra time to get ready. He hadn't seen me fixed up since I had found him in the cemetery, and this was the first time he'd asked me out. It meant a lot to me.

I chose one of my favorite shirts to wear, one I'd not seen in the months I'd been gone, a cute teal, white, and yellow, plaid tank top that buttoned up the middle to a scooped neckline. I paired it with some jeans and similar colored matching canvas tennis shoes.

After I carefully applied my makeup, I flat ironed my hair completely straight. I knew I'd be wearing a helmet, but I wanted it to be as pretty as possible since he liked it so much, even if he didn't remember.

Grabbing a few dollars out of my bag, I slid them into my back pocket in case we might need money. I wasn't sure what else he had planned. He may just want to go for a ride.

When we were in Scotland, Vance made the comment he was anxious to get back to his motorcycle. He'd said he missed going for rides because they helped clear his head. Maybe that's what this was about.

I left my room and headed down the stairs thinking I shouldn't allow myself to get so excited over this, but I couldn't help it.

No one was in the kitchen though, so I went to the family room, finding him on the couch with Krista, watching television. He glanced up as soon as I entered.

"Hey!" He smiled, standing up and it seemed as if he was excited to see me. "You ready to go?"

I nodded, returning his smile while nervously sliding my hands into my back pockets.

"Sorry I took such a long time," I apologized, wondering why I had so many butterflies in the pit of my stomach.

"It appears to have been worth the wait." He grinned, his eyes traveling over me. "You look really pretty."

"Thank you," I replied, enjoying that he noticed. "You look good too," I added, meaning every word.

Lifting his hands, he gave a slight shrug. "I'm exactly the same as the last time you saw me," he reminded, as if I were the one who'd lost my memory.

"True," I said continuing to smile, returning his appreciative glance. "And you still look good."

He must've gone through the drawer this morning and showered when I was sleeping, because the sweats and old t-shirt had disappeared. He was wearing jeans, one of my favorite shirts that emphasized his muscular cut chest beneath, and he'd styled his hair the way he'd always worn it.

The grin on his face widened and he nodded in acknowledgement of the point I was trying to make.

"So when do you think you will be back?" Krista asked, attempting to appear nonchalant.

"I have no idea," Vance replied, never taking his eyes off of me. "I guess when you see us again."

I was having a real hard time distinguishing between the old him and the new. He seemed so much the same and I loved it.

"Well, be careful," she added, the protective mother coming into play.

"We will be," I said, turning to leave.

Vance followed close behind while we went through the house. When we reached the door to the garage, he moved around me, opening it.

"Thanks," I said, glancing at him as I passed.