Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Sitting around the large dining table, we discussed the fact Brian had not known about the box for the ritual when I questioned him about it. This led to the general consensus that there was a good possibility the rest of the Cummingses' demon coven was unaware of the box also. This made sense, since it would have eliminated the possibility of someone else wanting to take the box for themselves.

"I think we should look for Darcy," I said popping into the conversation after listening to several suggestions of where to go from here.

"Why's that?" Dad asked with a curious glance.

"Well, we know she worked closely with Damien in Las Vegas, and he wanted the Awakening for himself. That's why he hid Vance from Douglas and Fiona. It's also why he was performing the demon kiss. He knew the Awakening would greatly enhance any powers he was carrying. He was stealing as many as he could so he could be even that much more powerful. I assume Douglas and Fiona have probably done the same thing."

"What does that have to do with Darcy?" Shelly asked with a slightly confused look crossing her features.

"Damien was actively preparing for this event. I think it might suggest he was the one in possession of the box. Think about it. Darcy has now been accepted into the welcoming arms of Douglas and Fiona after she served their wayward son. What could she have possibly offered them that would've made them interested in her?" I asked, looking around the table.

"That makes sense," my dad said. "It could also mean she's the only one besides Douglas and Fiona who knows where the box is. However, I'm inclined to think perhaps Damien was still working with his parents. Otherwise, why would they have helped him out with Krista?"

"That's true. Either way we need to get hold of Darcy. I'm sure she could help us with answers," Vance interjected in a no-nonsense tone of voice, as if kidnapping a demon was an everyday discussion. "She's a housemaid now at Bell Tower. Surely she must have time off or run errands. I doubt Crispin and his coven would watch her much, probably thinking she's insignificant."

"You're right," my dad agreed. "They've tended to focus on the more influential members of the coven. Perhaps it's the ones they're overlooking that are actually carrying out the dirty work, so to speak."

"It's a crafty idea," Vance said, agreeing with my dad's assumption. "If there's one thing I learned about my grandmother while I was there, it's that she's definitely cunning."

"I agree," I added softly, thinking of the prim and proper Fiona who in reality was probably one of the most devious people I'd ever known in my life, which was really saying something since I had met her son.

Vance looked at me with an apologetic glance, patting my leg under the table.

"It's settled then," Dad said, while he buttered a roll. "We go after Darcy. We'll need to set up a containment area somewhere, too, in the event that we find her. It would have to be someplace that wouldn't alert the construction workers that are in and out of this place."

"Well, this is a Scottish keep," Vance said, a mischievous smile spreading across his face. "Portia and I had an excellent time exploring the dungeons underneath here. They haven't been touched at all, and it's my understanding they're to remain that way since the owner wishes to use them as a point of interest for the guests who stay here."

"Hmmm, holding a prisoner in the dungeon? What a novel idea." Dad smiled before he bit into his roll.

"You boys are having way too much fun with this idea," my mom said, shaking her head.