Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Vance and I followed Fiona up the large staircase to the second floor. Turning to the left when we reached the top, we passed several closed doors as we walked down the tastefully decorated hall. Fiona continued to lead us forward until we stood before the large set of double doors at the very end, opening one side for us to enter.

To say the suite, which lay beyond, was plush was a complete understatement. Handcrafted wood furniture was painted white. In fact, all of the décor in the room was white, from the extremely large king-sized bed with thick pillars that twisted into the wooden canopy overhead, to the luxurious silk duvet, which was layered with an incredible amount of throw pillows. At the foot of the bed sat a chenille covered, button tufted bench. At one end of the room was a sitting area with beautifully carved chairs in the Queen Anne style, next to a slightly distressed white coffee table, placed in front of a fireplace.

Large windows graced the exterior wall, covered in sheers that filtered the light. Heavier drapes hung over the top of those, and I imagined that if they were closed, they'd block the light completely.

In sharp contrast to the furnishings, the walls were covered in a dark, richly paneled wood. The richness of the walls helped to set off all the white-on-white décor in the space.

"Will this room do for you?" Fiona asked, rubbing an imaginary wrinkle out of the duvet with her hand.

"It's perfect," I said, feeling a bit like a fairy princess in a magical tower.

"I agree," Vance added with a nod, still seeming formal as he addressed her. "Thank you again for your hospitality."

Moving next to him, Fiona placed her hands on the side of his face, stroking it gently with her thumbs. "You have no idea how excited we are to have you here, my dear boy," she said, with a longing stare. "I look forward to getting to know you better."

"Likewise," he replied, giving her a slight smile.

"Well, I'll leave the two of you here to get acquainted with the place." She moved toward the door. "Get comfortable and make yourselves at home. I'll send Colin up to tell you when lunch is served."

"Colin?" I didn't recognize the unfamiliar name.

"The butler, dear," she replied. "If there's anything else you find yourselves in need of, just ask Colin and he'll be sure to get it for you."

"Thank you," Vance said as she moved to toward the door.

"Oh!" she said, almost as an afterthought. "Feel free to explore any part of the house you wish, except for the east wing. We're currently under renovations there, and my allergies act up if people keep going in and out with all the dust and everything."

"No problem," Vance said.

"Hopefully the work will be finished while you're here and you'll be able to get the complete tour. Feel free to explore the grounds of the estate as well," she added with a smile, before she walked out, closing the door behind her.

Vance immediately turned to me, and I wrapped my arms around his waist, leaning my head against his muscled shoulder.

"How are you holding up?" I asked. Encircling me in his embrace, he rested his chin on the top of my head.

"I'm not sure," he said, sighing, as if he were releasing the weight of the world off his shoulders. "This is a bizarre and unexpected turn of events."

"Well, they seem genuinely happy to have you here," I countered, trying to give him something positive to look at.

"That's true." Pulling back slightly, he stared at me. "What about you? Do you feel comfortable about staying here?"