"Well, you'd better get used to seeing more than a dime of it, 'cause there's a thousand dollars of it flashing around on that finger of yours," she said, clicking off the television, and her gaze flickered to my hand.

I held it up and really looked at the ring, letting it sparkle in the dim lights.

"He wants to marry me," I said with a small smile, before biting at my lip.

"I know!" Shelly giggled, grabbing me into a girlish bear hug with a squeal. "Are you excited?" she asked, when she pulled away.

"I can't think of anything I'd love better in my life." I replied as a grin spread wide across my face.

We moved at the same time, pulling back the down comforter and curling beneath it. I sighed heavily, closing my eyes as she reached out to click off the bedside lamp.

"Portia, it'll be okay," Shelly said. "I believe we'll find a way to help him out."

"I hope so," I said, as a slow heaviness began to creep back into my heart. "Knowing he's still in danger makes everything else seem unreal. It's like none of this can really happen until we get him all squared away."

"I know. Try to keep the faith," she replied with a yawn, and soon she was fast asleep.

For a long time afterward, I lay awake thinking things over. So many thoughts were racing through my mind.

"You're doing it again." Vance's voice crept into my head.

"I know. Sorry," I replied, feeling badly that I was keeping him awake.

"Get some sleep now, baby. We'll talk over everything in the morning."

"All right."

I attempted to relax my mind, concentrate on breathing, and let everything go, but it wasn't working. My thoughts of him continued to race—worries and fears on his behalf.

"Portia, listen to me. I want you to repeat the words I tell you, okay?"

"Okay." I listened as he spoke.

"Let go thoughts and feelings,

"Let go now to dreaming.

"Let body relax into sleep,

"Let the rest be ever deep.

"Let me wake with morning light.

"Let me now enjoy this night."

As I repeated the chant, I realized they were the words he quietly mumbled on other occasions when I couldn't rest. I'd never really known what he was saying before. As soon as I finished reciting the spell, I was asleep almost instantly.

Morning found me refreshed and ready for the new day. I was a little surprised I didn't remember dreaming anything at all.

"Good morning," I heard him say softly in my head.

"Back at you." I smiled as I stretched.

"Did you sleep well?"

"You know I did," I said, feeling apologetic. "Sorry I didn't see you in my dreams."

"It was my choice," he replied casually. "We both needed the rest."

I climbed out of bed, padded down the hall to his room, and opened the door. I gasped in surprise.

Vance was sitting up on the edge of the bed, shaking violently. Lifting his head as I entered the room, his flaming red eyes greeted me. Instinctively I moved toward him, but he held up his hand stopping me.