Despite not wanting to laugh, I do, and my side begins to hurt again. I let out another groan, and Nick looks at me with a knowing look.

I glare. "I'm just sore."

"And how exactly are you sore?" he asks.

"I was working out earlier today," I lamely explain.

"You? Work out with people? I find that very hard to believe," he teases.

I laugh and push him jokingly. "I'm not that bad with people."

He raises his eyebrow. "Well..."

I whack him with my hand at his joke. "You can stop that," I tell him.

He laughs and then looks at me seriously again. "Seriously, Maya, tell me what happened. We both know I know that you're not telling the truth."

I sigh. "Why'd you have to ruin the fun when I was actually having a little bit of fun?"

"Don't try to change the subject," he says.

I roll my eyes and don't respond. He's right; I can't get a lie past him, so I won't try to get a lie past him. I just won't strike up a conversation with him for the rest of the night. Plus, my uncle will be back in here in a few minutes, so my uncle will occupy Nick.

When my uncle does come back into the room, I let my thoughts drift away. I can't tell Nick the truth because I know how he'll react. He'll tell me the exact same thing he told me the second time I ran into him-- that I should go tell an adult.

If he found out, he would probably tell my uncle. Then, my uncle would get involved and make the situation even worse in an effort to make it better. I can't deal with more drama, so I resolve to make sure they have no idea about what's going on.

~•••••~

For the next month, I arrive at school everyday with my old hood over my head. The whispers always start when I enter the building, and they begin to get to me as the month goes by.

Still, I have someone to help me through the rumors and whispers; Alli. Despite my hesitancy to become friends with her, I do, and I don't regret it. For some reason, she understands me, and I find myself allowing her into my life a little bit.

Of course, I keep certain pieces of information from her, but she knows that my father wasn't the kindest. What she doesn't know is how abusive he was toward my mom and me, and I don't think I'll be telling her any of that anytime soon because it's still a touchy subject. Plus, I'm still me, which means I'm still wary about people.

My wariness has come in handy because I've been able to avoid Nick's questions, and my uncle and Emma have no idea what's going on at school with Cassandra or anyone else. Cassandra is still her usual self, but she's become even worse as the month has gone by.

Her words are meaner, and she's gotten more on the physical side of things after that day on my way home. It hasn't been anything huge like last time, just tripping me and pushing me around, but when I step inside school today, I get an uncomfortable feeling.

I'm walking next to Alli, but I see more stares and hear more whispers. Glares are sent in our direction. I begin to worry even more when I see Cassandra and her clique in the middle of it all. She usually doesn't get here until the late bell almost rings, so I know something has to be up.

Alli gently pulls me through the crowd to our first class. We sit down in the back of the room and wait for all the seats to fill up. I tug my hood down and smooth out my ponytail before turning to look at Alli.