I shake my head. "Just a little bit of pain in my back and side. I'll be fine."

Alli nods her head. "If you say so. Do you want me to help you home?"

I shake my head. "My home isn't here."

She looks at me with confusion. "What do you mean? If you're home isn't down here, then why were you walking down this path?"

I almost laugh at her confusion, but I steadily reply, "My uncle's house is here, and I live there. That doesn't mean..."

She nods as though she understands and finishes for me, "It's your home. I get it. Now, do you want me to help you to your uncle's house?"

I pause and then let go of my pride by saying, "If you can."

"Anything. Now, let's get you to the house," she replies cheerfully as she begins to walk beside me.

I feel pain in my side as I take slower steps. It's not completely umbearable, but I've never realized how strong Cassandra actually is. My back is also beginning to feel a little more sore.

I glance over at Alli as we walk, and I realize how understanding she is. She didn't question why I consider my uncle's house not my home, and she didn't question me further on the pain. She's not speaking as we walk. She seems to get that I'm not someone who talks after something like this happens, so I feel grateful about that. Maybe, she's not as bad as I thought.

We get nearer to the house, and I lead her to the back door where the entrance is to the second kitchen. I begin to walk up the steps to the house and soon realize that Alli isn't following me. Instead, she is standing behind me at the bottom of the last step.

I turn around to face her. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I pause and then softly add, "Thank you."

She smiles at me. "I'll see you tomorrow, Maya."

She begins to walk away, but I suddenly find myself calling out to her, "Wait!"

She stops, and asks as I run back down the steps toward her, "Yes?"

"Do you have a few minutes to spare?" I ask her without any of my usual hesitance.

"Sure," she replies cheerfully.

After she says that, I hurry inside the house and set my backpack down. I even call out to Emma and tell her that I am going to the beach. I hurry back outside and lead Alli down to the private beach.

I sit down on the sand, and Alli sits down beside me. We sit in the sand quietly, neither of us really knowing what to say. This is new for me. Not once since I've moved here have I ever sat down with a girl and tried to talk with her. Not once has any girl tried to get to know me.

"So," Alli begins, interrupting my thoughts, "has Cassandra ever done something like that to you or anyone else?"

I shake my head. "No. That was different. I've never seen her like that before. I don't know what set her off."

"I'm sorry I didn't get there sooner to help. I only knew something was up because I heard someone yelling as I was walking in the direction of my house," she replies.

"It's fine. There's no way you could've known. But, I do have one question for you," I say.

"Ask away."

I turn to where I'm almost square to her and slowly ask, "What did you mean when you said that you know about people like her?"