Chapter 16 Training for Link

Link's POV

Puriel woke up and smiled at me.

"Sorry for falling asleep, Link. I should probably go now," she said and got up.

"You don't have to go, I'd appreciate your company," I said and grabbed her small, delicate hand.

She smiled again and sat down on the end of the bed.

"You know, you're going to need to be trained for battle if you want to help us fight the Krax. Since your arm is healed, would you like me to train you? Puriel asked.

"Sure," I said and pulled the covers off me.

"You know, you should probably change into something else. You'll get strange looks if you keep walking around like that," Puriel said and gestured to my t-shirt and jeans.

I stood up and went over to the closet. I pulled out the first outfit. It looked just like Link, the elf's costume. I laughed and looked to Puriel.

"Um, I'm sorry, but could you leave so I can change in privacy?" I asked, embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. Of course. I'll be right outside when you're ready," she said and blushed bright red before exiting.

I peeled off my shirt and jeans and slipped on the leggings. They were uncomfortably tight cut. I sighed and pulled the boots over them. Then, I pulled the green tunic on and tightened the belt on it. I decided to skip the hat. I fixed my hair on the mirror and left the room. Puriel was sitting on a bench waiting for me. She looked up and began to giggle.

"You look great, Link," she said and stood up. "You make a very cute elf. Now, come on, I'll teach you how to fight with a sword and then, you can get something to eat. Follow me," Puriel said and led me to a large gymnasium-like room.

There were swords on a table and I went over and selected one. There were also shields on the wall and various suits of chainmail. I tired one on, just to feel it. It was incredible heavy. I felt myself beginning to stumble over the weight and quickly pulled it off.

"You won't be needing that today, Link. Now come over here and I'll show you how to fight. Stand with your legs bent, one in front of the other and have your sword in front of your shoulder," Puriel said.

I followed her instructions. She grabbed her sword from its sheath and swung it at me. I swung mine at it and deflected it. Sparks flew from the force of the swords hitting each other and Puriel's sword went flying out of her hands. She stared at me with an open mouth and wide eyes.

"That was incredible, Link. You are excellent at fighting! Have you ever fought before?"

"No, this is my first time," I said.

"You have a gift with a sword. You and Rhett have something special about you. You are already an incredible warrior and Rhett is great with magic. It almost seems like Volitha didn't just choose you two randomly, it seems she knew you two would be able to help us win this war!" Puriel said excitedly.  

What if we were destined to help the elves win? Puriel was right, we both had an incredible talent for battle. I had never expected this to happen.

We trained for about an hour until I was nearly perfect with my sword. I sighed and set it down. We were done for today.

"Puriel, there's something I've been meaning to ask. Are we going to have been gone the same amount of time we were here when we get back to our home?" I asked.

"That's a good question. No time will have passed in your home. You could you could stay here so long, you get old, but once you go home, you'll be the same age you were when you first got here," Puriel explained.

I sighed. Relief flooded over me. I didn't know how I would explain to my mom where I had been for so long. Puriel smiled and leaned forward to kiss me. I smiled back and kissed her gently. I loved her so much. I couldn't believe she loved me too. It was almost too perfect. I pulled away and smiled down at her. Suddenly, I realized, as much as I wanted to go back to North Carolina, once I did, I could never see Puriel again. I felt saddened, but I pushed the feeling aside. I wanted to take advantage of the time I did have here. I heard someone calling me, but the voice was calling me Leak. I realized it was Daz.

"I'm in here, Daz," I called out to him.

I saw him come running over to me. He jumped into my arms and gave me a hug. I smiled and began to laugh.

"Did you miss me?" I asked.

"Yes, but I want to go home, Leak. I miss the mountains. Will you take me?" Daz asked and looked at me with big, pleading eyes.

"Yes, I'll take you home, Daz. Come on, we can go now," I said and grabbed his outstretched hand.

"Link, don't go by yourself. It can be dangerous at night. Do you want me to come with you?" Puriel offered.

"I was hoping Rhett could come. I haven't been able to see him much, but you can come as well if you like," I said.

She smiled and grabbed my other hand. We found Rhett and he happily obliged to come. The four of us set off towards the mountain. I looked at Puriel, she looked gorgeous in the fading light of the sun as it set. I smiled and continued on our journey.