19. Welcome To The Neighborhood

Luke and I sat in the kitchen while Summer slept in her crib. I made more coffee while waiting for my tired eyes to respond to the first cup. I stood in my pajamas shorts not particularly motivated to get into actual clothes. But who cared it wasn't like I had anything planned for today. A loud sound interrupted our morning. I looked at Luke and Summer curiously. Luke shared the same look as we raced towards the living room window. This window gave us the view of the whole street. We pulled back the drapes and peeked through the blinds.

We watched as a moving truck pulled up to the newly sold house next door. I watched as a young women about my age jumped out of the moving truck. Three kids followed behind.

"Oh no, not more kids!" Luke whined. "Hey but at least she's hotter than you." He smiled before my fist met his shoulder roughly. She turned around to the side where her baby bump was exposed. "Okay maybe not that hot." He shook his head. She gazed at her new hope hopefully. She caught a glimpse of us spying on her through our window. She squinted and I quickly snapped the blinds back together and closed the drapes quickly.

"Crap!" I shouted.

"Did she see us?" He asked with his body pinned to the wall under the window seal.

"Gee I don't know? Your head's so big it's without a doubt destined to be seen." I joked in a whispered shout. I heard footsteps approaching the front door. I sprinted up and pretended to be busy as Luke followed. Not even a few seconds later the doorbell rang.

"I'm coming!" Luke stumbled his way to the door. I rolled my eyes and grabbed Summer out of her bouncer following Luke.

"Hi." The woman greeted.

"Hey." We smiled enthusiastically.

"I just wanted to come by and meet you guys." She smiled.

"Oh how sweet of you, your the new neighbor right?" I asked the question that I already knew the answer to.

"Yeah actually neighbors." She grinned rubbing her baby bump.

"Yeah I can see, how precious how far along are you?" I asked.

"What? I'm not pregnant." She stated with a serious, offensive look on her face.

"Oh my gosh I am so sorry. I just......." I explained sheepishly.

"Ha ha ha." She snickered. "I'm just messing with you." She explained quite humored.

"Ohhh, thank God." I sighed in relief. "You're very funny." I complemented.

"Oh thank you, your very sweet." She replied. As Luke stood in the doorway awkwardly.

"I'm Jane." I smiled warmly, reaching out my free hand. "This is Summer." I announced bouncing her on my hip. "And this is Luke." I said dryly.

"I'm Lucy, this is my bun in the oven and I have three little monsters checking out their new rooms." She grinned.

"Wow. Well um if you would like we are throwing a halloween party Saturday for Summer's first Halloween why don't you bring your kids?" Luke invited.

"Yeah you should totally come, we invited the whole neighborhood, We just thought it would be a good way for us to meet new people and Summer to make friends." I explained.

"Oh okay that sounds great, we'd love to come." She accepted. "Well I gotta get back to the kids. It was nice meeting you all, you're a wonderful couple." She complemented.

"Couple?" I looked at her and Luke.

"Yeah." She continued.

"You think we're a couple?" I asked.

"Yeah, are you not?" She asked a little embarrassed.

"Me and him.....married?" I laughed uncontrollably and started to walk away. "Lucy you and you jokes, will be the death of me." I laughed my way back to Summer's nursery.