WHATEVER IS COOL WITH YOU?

I rolled Rachel into the hospital and called out for help. Nurses in blue scrubs approached us and started to take over. Rachel's hand was pulled from mine.

"Sorry, ma'am family only." One of the male nurses explained.

"But..." I stood up straight.

"She's my sister." Rachel lied and gripped my hand, I smiled back at her. He nodded before he began to push her wheelchair into one of the open rooms.

"The doctor will be in with you as soon as possible he said as the nurses helped Rachel into the hospital bed. My heart beat fast in my chest I was terrified. I shouldn't be here, I have a tendency to pass out at the sign of bodily fluids and screaming. I tried to imagine what Rachel was thinking. She was about to give life to someone and she knew it wasn't going to be easy. I know she imagined her family being here also, but I was all she had. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it to let her know she had my support.

"Jane can you call my brother?" She begged.

"Of course. I will be right back." I let go of her hand and stepped outside of the room. I searched through my phone for Luke's number. Luke was Rachel's emotionally distant older brother. He was one the bad boys in high school, the one that every good girl wanted. Nobody really knew the real him except Rachel. I just knew he wasn't all the emotionless bad boy everyone thought he was. We personally didn't get along when we were kids. I haven't talked to him since my sophomore year of high school. The phone rang and I waited for him to answer it.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Luke, thank God you answered!" I sighed. "You won't believe what's happening right now..."

"Hold up one sec, Nah I'm just messing with you! Congratulations you got my voicemail! You know what to do." The voice died and the beep sounded to leave a voicemail.

"What a douche!" I shouted in the waiting room, all eyes turned to me. "Sorry, misguiding voicemail." I apologized. I hate it when people do that! I pressed the redial button angrily three times before I gave up. I decided to leave him a message for him to get back to.

"Hey Luke, it's Jane look I know this isn't the kind of message I should leave over the phone but Rachel is going into labor and she really needs you to be here. I tried calling you but I'm guessing you're busy or just ignoring me so just call me back when you can. Or not whatever is cool with you, but delete that answering machine would ya?" I could hear screams from the room behind me.

The message beeped to inform me that it stopped recording. Really? Or not? Whatever is cool with you? I scolded myself for my lacking ability to communicate correctly. I sat in a rough navy blue chair in the waiting room, it felt like the whole world was spinning way too fast. I rested my head in my icy cold hands and tried to prepare myself for what was about to happen.