16. Crying Over Split Paint

I sat Summer in her swing in the corner as she played with the buttons on her overalls. Luke dragged the numerous cans of paint into the room. I started to cover all the furniture in the house with multiple tarps. I walked back to my soon to be room and so did Luke. He turned on some music and walked next to me with a paintbrush. He placed a paintbrush in my hand.

"You ready?" He asked.

"Yep."

First the my room then the kitchen, living-room, the hallway, Luke's room and now Summer's nursery. Room after room and wall after wall the house started to look like a home.

Summer watched me contently as I painted the nursery. Luke went to get us both something to drink. I moved the paint roller on the wall leaving traces of ballerina pink. I sat on the floor exhausted we were almost done painting. I kept hearing a shuttering sound. I turned around to find Luke hiding behind a camera.

"I found Rachel's old camera." He snapped a picture.

"Would you stop taking pictures of me." I asked.

"No."

"Give me the damn camera Luke." I demanded and he continued to ignore me. I got up and started to walk towards his. My foot fell into a can of teal paint. My foot sloshed around in the liquid as Luke looked at me wide eyed with his jaw wide open. I attempted to take my foot out of the bucket.
I looked at Summer who smiled in amusement.

Luke burst into laughter and snapped another picture. I pulled my foot out of the bucket forcefully.

I picked up a bucket of paint.

"So you think that's funny Luke?" I asked.
"Fine! I'll show you funny." I lifted the paint bucket over his head and flipped it. The pink colored paint dripped down his face as he wiped his face and mouth off.

"Oh really he gasped as he pulled out a paint brush and flicked it in my direction splattering paint all over me we both took turns backs and throwing paint at each other until we were barely recognizable. I looked at Summer who just watched Luke and I cover ourselves in paint. An idea popped into my head while we paused I pulled Summer out of her bouncer and held out in front of me careful not to get paint all over her as well I dipped her hands in the teal paint and placed them flat on the wall. When I moved her hand it revealed her tiny little hand prints.

"Why don't you and I put our handprints on the wall." Luke took her from my arms and held Summer so I could do my hand prints next to Summer. Luke and I switched off with the baby so he could place his handprints next to mine. He turned around to me and Summer after he was done. Summer looked at he hands with wonder and placed her teal hands on my multicolored face. Summers room was all finished. Now we just needed to work on the furniture. I left Summer's nursery to go clean Summer and myself up for the night.

********

I layed down on the couch with Summer on my chest and fell asleep. I heard the snap of a camera above me and instantly woke up seconds later. Luke stood over me and Summer.

"Luke? What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing I'm going out for a little bit, go back to sleep." He explained and walked out the door. My eyes became heavier and heavier until they completely closed and my mind rested for the night.