RWBY's events never happen. RWBY is a Battle of Ideals between Salem and Ozpin.

Well now this one is hard to prove since we don't know Salem's full character yet. But we can get a feel about her from her now famous speech.

But first we need to look toward a Volume 1 song. This will be the day. As we know The lyrics victory is in a Simple Soul are said a lot. 

Which Ozpin references in his speech back to Salem in the Dialogue. He says there or that victory is in something simpler things you have long forgotten. Something that requires a smaller more honest soul.

Which Salem then replies with it is true that a simple more honest soul can create a spark that will ignite hope. That your faith in humanity was not misplaced that you were right when banded together they are a considerable threat. And that is why I will focus all of my power to snuff it out.

Ok. Well what I am trying to get at here is that Salem's ideals are that of a extremist to put it lightly. She has the tear it all down mentality that is tempered with something some of the most evil villains in history have had. The ability to be able to discern and listen to another point of view to see what holds that belief together to snuff out what makes it work.

Ozpin's beliefs are that man can make it on its own. With simple souls that spark hope and he tries to prove it with creative storytelling. RWBY is the story and Ozpin and Salem are the authors and narrators.