Chapter 20

*First person pov*

     Everyone was rushing to get all the supplies they need and talk to people if they had the chance to say their goodbyes. "Jean!! Jean!!" I called as I walked around. I spotted him sitting against the wall, holding his head. "I was going to go into the Military Police... Why does this have to happen now?" Jean talks to himself. "Jean! Snap out of it man!" I said as I crouched down in front of him, looking at him in the eyes. "Basil..." Jean said as he looked at me. "Everything's going to be alright. We'll make it out of this. Right now, we need to get all the supplies we need. C'mon." I said as I pulled him up. I dragged him over to the gas refills. "C'mon. You need to refill your tanks. Hurry, we don't have that much time to restock." I said as I took of his tanks and gave it to him. I was kinda like a mother just now, undressing him. That... sounded so wrong on so many levels. "Basil! I can handle it!!" Jean yelled as he took his tanks from me. "Okay... It just seemed like you needed a little push." I said, holding my hands up in defense. I took off my half full tanks and refilled them right next to him. "Hey Jean... are you going to be okay?" I asked him as a faint 'ss' noise when I refilled my tanks. "No... I was going into the interior tomorrow!! And you were going to come with me!" Jean yelled as a 'thunk' could be heard, he didn't put on the gas right. He must not being thinking straight. "You'll survive this, I know it. You're going to the interior tomorrow, whether you think so or not!" I said as I helped him put the gas on right. Jean scowls at the ground as his tanks were refilling. "EVERYONE IN THE MAIN YARD!!" A Garrison solider yelled. I finished refilling my tanks as well as Jean. We head to the middle, where the temporary commander was there. I stand next to Jean as we listen to the commander. "SPLIT INTO TEAMS, JUST LIKE TRAINING!! UNDER THE GARRISON'S COMMAND, YOU WILL FORM SUPPLY AND INFORMATION ROUTES AS YOU MOP UP ANY TITANS YOU ENCOUNTER!!! THE GARRISON'S INTERCEPT SQUAD WILL FORM THE VANGUARD!! THE CADETS WILL FUNCTION AS THE MIDDLE GUARD UNDER OUR COMMAND AND THE GARRISON'S ELITE WILL FORM THE REAR GUARD!!! ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION WE RECEIVED, THE INITIAL RESPONSE TEAM HAS BEEN WIPED OUT!!" Shock was written across all the trainees face's when we heard this. The commander continued. "THEY LET THE TITAN'S BREAK THROUGH THEIR DEFENSES AND GET INTO THE TOWN!!! IN OTHER WORDS, AS THINGS STAND THE ARMORED TITAN COULD SHOW UP AT ANY TIME AND DESTROY THE INNER WALL!!" All the trainees whispered among themselves in fear. "ATTENTION!!" The commander yelled, getting all of our attention. "THE VANGUARD IS INTERCEPTING THE TITANS AT THIS MOMENT!!! THIS DEFENSE MISSION HAS ONLY ONE GOAL: TO PROTECT WALL ROSE UNTIL THE CIVILIANS HAVE EVACUATED!! ALSO, AS I'M SURE YOU'RE ALL AWARE BY NOW, FLEEING FROM AN ENEMY CARRIES A DEATH PENALTY!!" What!?! They would kill us if we don't go out there and kill titans!? I already knew this but still!!!!!!!! "KEEP THAT IN MIND AS YOU OFFER UP YOUR LIVES!!! DISMISSED!!!" The commander finished. We all salute him with a 'yessir.' All the trainees scatter as they talk to their friends to say goodbye or just isolate themselves for the 15 minutes that we were given. I run off, watching people cry. I saw Dazz throwing up as Krista patted his back. "EREN!! MIKASA!! ARMIN!! WHERE ARE YOU GUYS!?" I yell as I walk around, calling. I spot Eren pinning Jean up against a pillar. I stand next to Mikasa as I watch Eren yell at Jean. "Don't forget!! Never forget the three years we poured our blood, sweat, and tears into!! We've nearly died so many times over the past three years!!! Some people actually did. And some ran away or were driven out!! But we survived!! Isn't that right!? And I'm sure we can do the same now!! You're going to survive this day, and go into the Interior tomorrow. Right!?" Eren said as he let Jean down. Jean was in a daze but then glared at the floor. "Shit!" Jean cursed as he walked away. He glanced at me when he walked. "Let's go, Dazz. How long're you going to keep crying?" Jean said as he walked past Dazz. "Eren, thanks for putting Jean straight. I don't know what to do with that boy." I said as I walked up to Eren. "Eren." Mikasa said, gaining Eren's attention. "If things go bad, come to me." Mikasa told Eren. "Huh? Aren't we in different squads?" Eren asked her. "Things don't follow the plan on a chaotic battlefield. I'll protect you." Mikasa said. "I gotta say Eren, Mikasa is right. Well, you don't have to go to her but just get back to your group and you'll protect each other. Teamwork is essential in that kind of situation too, you know." I told Eren, putting my hands on my hips. "Who's side are you on!?" Eren said, groaning. "I never said to go to Mikasa, go to someone who is available and protect each other." I said, poking his forehead. "Are you saying I'm not capa-" "Cadet Anckerman." A voice behind us said. It was a Garrison solider. "You have been permitted to join the rear guard. Come with me." The solider announced. "A-At my level of ability, I'll only get in your way!!" Mikasa tried to reason. "I don't remember asking for your opinion. The evacuation is behind schedule. We need to place as many elite soldiers as possible with the citizenry." The solider said before leaving. "B-But-" Mikasa said but gets cut off when Eren head butts her. "Hey! Cut the crap, Mikasa! Pull yourself together!! Mankind is in real danger of extinction here! Quit selfishly following your own priorities!!" Eren yelled at her. "Um..." I didn't really know what to say. Mikasa looked down in sadness. "I'm sorry. I lost my cool." Mikasa said emotionless. Eren moved to leave but Mikasa caught his sleeve. "I just have one request. Please... don't die." Mikasa said. Eren just shrugged her off then left. "Rude. Mikasa, are you alright?" I ask her as I put a hand on her shoulder. She had tears streaming down her eyes but quickly wiped them away. "I'm fine. You don't die either, Basil." Mikasa said to me then leaving. I won't...... it's not like I can.