House of Spying/House of Tests

Sarah, Lucille, Jonah, and Jared continued through the tunnels, none of the other puzzles proving still to be active. Eventually they made it to the Mask of Anubis room where they saw the empty glass panel.

"Something must have been there before," Jonah deciphered.

Tasks to the mask have claimed their share-

A woman's voice suddenly emitted and surrounded them, speaking a riddle.

-The battles have been won,
But hidden below this accursed treasure,
Hail the begotten son.
Find the creator,
Giver of life,
Please his soul and sceptre.
And free our lady,
Our beginning of Time,
In her living image, Sehetepibre.

"Sehe-what now?" Jared asked.

Another wall slid to the side, and a staircase was revealed, descending into an impending darkness.

"Okay, who's first?" Sarah asked, glancing around.

"Maybe we should wait," Jonah suggested. "Before we forget the riddle, we should head back above ground and write it down and actually figure out what it means."

The others agreed to that and idea and headed back the way they had come.

~~~~~
During the middle of the week at breakfast time, Mr. Carroway had come to the Anubis house residents. He pulled Niamh away to come to his office, and so she grabbed her things and followed him.

Jared stood from the table once they were out of sight.

"Where do you think you're going?" Jonah asked him.

"Well to spy on them, of course," Jared smirked. He left the room as well and headed upstairs, ensuring that he wasn't seen.

Mr. Carroway had closed the door, and so Jared knelt down and crawled up by the door, pressing his ear flat against the wood. He picked up the conversation in which Mr. Carroway was saying the most, apparently addressing the letter and Niamh's family.

"I'll be mailing the letter back to your parents tomorrow," Mr. Carroway explained. "I've recently come in contact with them, and they've already determined you're fit to stay...Of course arrangements have been made."

Jared realized the conversation was about to end, so he scrambled towards the stairs and was just clambering up to his feet as Niamh opened the door. She gave a strange look as Jared pulled himself up.

"Could you be any more weird?" she asked as she passed by and headed down the stairs.

"So what was all that about?" Jared crossed his arms as Niamh stopped in place and turned back around.

"What?" she questioned.

"You know, the whole letter, parents, 'you are fit to stay'." Jared used his fingers to make air quotes around that last part.

"Stop listening in on other's conversations, will you?" Niamh shook her head and just decided to leave it there as she left the house.

Jared saw Lucille come out of the kitchen following some of the others, and she was carrying his bag. He descended the stairs and took it from her, placing it on his shoulder.

"Hey, so I have another mystery for us to pursue," Jared informed as he and Lucille headed off to school.

"And that is...?" Lucille trailed off.

"Niamh."

"Just Niamh?"

"Yep."

"You do realize that's not the purpose of the Chosen One and Osirion, right?" Lucille asked. "Heck, that's not even why we partnered up in the first place."

"Yeah," Jared confirmed, "but there are some things about her I wish to know," he explained suspiciously.

"And why should I help?"

"Because...you want to?"

Lucille chuckled a bit before actually agreeing, yet she made it clear that she wouldn't do anything too incriminating. They finally made it to chemistry class where they subconsciously sat at the same table together. Sarah and Jonah went along with it, them two sitting at their own table.

That day, the class also had a chemistry test. It was extraordinarily easy for Tyler and Rachel, but for most of the class, it was a bit of a challenge. Jared was still testing after the bell had rung, and Lucille whispered that they'd catch up late before heading off.

Eventually Jared handed in his test.

"It might have been easier if you studied," Ms. Staffer advised.

"Don't worry; studying wouldn't have made a difference," Jared replied as he left the classroom.

~~~~~
The headmaster, Mr. Owen, was standing outside his office, surveying the halls as if he was looking for someone. In fact, he actually was. Mr. Rainier eventually showed up, and William caught sight of him following Mr. Owen into his office.

"Hey, William."

William's attention was directed away from Mr. Owen and Mr. Rainier, and toward Rachel who had just come up to him.

"Hi, Rachel," William responded.

"What's so interesting over there?" Rachel asked, referring to the direction William had previously been staring.

"Nothing. I just saw Mr. Rainier go into Mr. Owen's office...Where's Tyler?"

"Why do you ask?"

"No reason," William lied.

"Well anyway...I spoke to Mr. Duval early, and apparently we're both on the list for callbacks! Isn't that great?"

"Y-yeah." It took a moment for William to register what was just said to him, and by the time he had comprehended the situation, he was just as excited as Rachel. Perhaps for different reasons, but nevertheless, excited.

~~~~~
This is yet another chapter for you all! It's a bit shorter than most - about 100 words less, but hopefully it still holds enough content. And for now, discussion questions:

What do you think the riddle means?

What do you think is going on with Niamh?

Why might Mr. Rainier be meeting with Mr. Owen?

And that's all for now. Until next time Aristocrats!