XXIX

Kyle woke up to the smell of marijuana. For a second it was disorienting and he quickly sat up. Consequently, the sudden movement also woke Stan up with a yell. Both boys looked at each other bizarrely, barely believing what they were seeing.

Kyle's hair was a complete mess. His curls pointed in every which way and almost covered his eyes. Stan's hair was equally a mess, his straight locks pointing in every direction. Stan was in awe— he never knew that Kyle was so beautiful every morning.

"You'll catch a fly if you keep your mouth open like that," Kyle whispered. He broke the silence that he didn't even realise was so... tense.

Stan snapped his mouth closed and looked away with a blush. A tickle ran up his stomach and into his chest. He put his hand over his mouth in a way that made Kyle's stomach tickle. The silence between them was deafening and Kyle desperately wished Stan would say something.

An abrupt knock at the door startled them.

"Stan? I made french toast. Come down soon please," Sharon's voice gently came from the door.

"Okay," Stan responded. He inhaled deeply and met eyes with Kyle. Their hearts pounded against their chest.

Kyle had been thinking about his dream last night. It wasn't really a dream, but a memory. The memory of how the two had split off. Thinking about it brought back the deep, emotional pain he had endured for three years.

"Um... so. Can we talk after breakfast? I really need to get things off of my chest... It might be hard for me to talk about," Kyle's voice drifted off near the end of the sentence.

This made Stan's heart drop. Anxiety began brewing in his stomach. With a gulp, Stan nodded and looked away.

"We should go eat," Kyle suggested. Stan nodded and they both stood up.

Stan stretched his upper torso, shoulders, and arms slowly. The action was unbearable for Kyle to watch... it gave him too many butterflies to witness such beauty. Kyle eventually decided to follow along and stretched what he felt he needed. He then followed Stan out of his room and downstairs.

It had been forever since Kyle had talked to Sharon or Randy. He began to wonder if they held a grudge against him for knocking Stan out. Anxiety erupted in his stomach as he wondered what might happen during breakfast.

Turning the corner to the kitchen, both boys saw Sharon and Randy already sitting at the table. Four plates sat neatly on top of the table in their designated spots. A cup of what appeared to be orange juice was placed next to each plate. Two empty seats welcomed Stan and Kyle into the dining room.

Kyle was the first to take a seat. He sat nearest to Sharon... he was more comfortable near her. Stan quickly took the last seat near Kyle and Randy. Kyle smiled awkwardly and greeted Stan's parents.

"Hello Sharon. Hello Randy."

"Hi Kyle. It's been a few years since I've seen you come around," Sharon greeted politely. She then cut into her french toast and took a bite.

Randy giggled. "Yeah. Not ever since we saw that huge purple kiss on Stan's jaw."

Kyle felt like he was going to die. A tsunami of anxiety flooded his entire body as he began to visibly shake.

"Randy!" Sharon scolded.

Stan's cold hand jolted Kyle out of his downward spiral. He looked into Stan's eyes, fearing he'd see anger.

"It's alright. I forgive you."

The rest of breakfast went smoother than the beginning. Everyone caught up, ate french toast, and drank orange juice. Kyle and Stan explained why, in not so much detail, why their friendship ended years ago. Sharon and Randy were understanding. Once breakfast was over and dishes were in the sink, Stan and Kyle went back up to Stan's bedroom.

Kyle walked in the room first. Stan slowly shut the door behind them and sat next to Kyle on the bed. Fidgeting his fingers, Kyle was unsure of how to start the conversation.

"So... what did you want to talk about?"