XXII

3 years ago...

« - - - »

"Kyle! She said yes!" Stan exclaimed.

Kyle jumped and turned towards Stan quickly. For the past two hours, Stan had been dead silent, laying tensely on Kyle's bed. Kyle had no nerve to ask him what the problem was because he already knew what it was about: Wendy.

"Oh... really? Congratulations, man," Kyle said, attempting to sound enthusiastic.

Stan noticed Kyle's drained tone, but paid no mind to it. Wendy was his and that's all he could think about. Taking her out to eat, going to see movies, introducing her to his favourite video games, and her coming over to his house was all he could think about. His head felt clouded and his chest felt heavy, yet lighter than a feather. It was an amazing feeling to Stan.

Meanwhile, Kyle felt almost heartbroken. He wanted to share his super best friends excitement, but he just wasn't feeling it. Maybe he liked Wendy?

For a moment, Kyle thought about Wendy. He could feel absolutely no attraction towards her. However, when he thought of Stan, his heart sped up a bit and he felt happy.

"Should I go to her house? What should I do?" Stan asked, feeling a sudden dread. He had no idea what to do because, after all, this was his first relationship as a 'matured' teenager.

"Well you don't really have to do anything right now..." Kyle spoke, a sadness arising in his chest. He felt like Stan was going to ditch him for a girl again.

"You're right," Stan said, not once looking up from his phone.

His fingers were moving rapidly across the phone screen, and Kyle wondered what he could possibly be typing. It was probably some sort of love paragraph, and that thought struck Kyle's stomach with unease.

"Do you... want to play Guitar Hero or something??" Kyle offered.

Stan continued to type away at his phone. Kyle wondered if he had even heard him speak and was about to repeat himself.

"She wants me to go to her!" Stan exclaimed. He quickly jumped off of Kyle's 3 foot high bed, grabbed his hat off of his nightstand, and bolted right for the door.

"Stan wait!" Kyle called, but Stan just ignored him.

Kyle began to run after Stan. As soon as he heard his front door slam, Kyle stopped in his tracks. Taking a deep breath, Kyle screamed out in frustration. He slammed his hands down to his side and stormed back to his room. Once in his room, he slammed the door as well.

"Kyle! You better stop slamming doors!" he heard his father holler up.

Kyle ignored his father and put in earbuds. Kyle then face planted into his pillow and oddly started to cry. He had a feeling that something bad was going to happen... He just didn't know what.