The Ones Who Took The "Jules"

Newt and Rose approached the crowded city cautiously, his limp made them walk most of the way so it was late afternoon by the time that they had got there. Together they weaved in and out through people, Newt right on her heels. Both carried backpacks now, supplies stuffed inside like food, blankets, water, medical supplies. They completely cleaned out the apartment, Rose even took the valuable things she had left of Scotty. The weapons, those were strapped to their bodies.

Newt felt a little more secure having a machete just like he used to in The Maze. Rose's prized possession was still MIA. Of course she felt empty without it, but she learned to live.

Eventually approaching the familiar building Rose moved across the deck being a little less cautious than Newt. She had been here before, for WICKED. "Marcus." She called towards a man wearing a red robe.

This made him turn to the familiar voice. "11?! No shit!" he slurred.

Newt could see her cringe at the name crossing her arms, her now covered black fingerless gloves gripped her forearms. "Drunk already?"

"Please, I'm always drunk. What brings you here?"

Newt spoke up for her, "were looking for some people."

Marcus looked towards Newt, "friend of yours?" he spoke to Rose.

She shrugged. "Something like that."

"Well the admission's still the same. We got a group that just came through saying the same thing. Figure gotta be related somehow." He put a liquid in her hand.

Newt seemed consumed. "Admission?"

Instead of answering Rose unscrewed the cap and took a swig. Then she handed it to Newt, "drink it, it's the only way you'll get inside."

He wasn't sure at first, but everyone was watching him. So, putting it against his lips he tipped the bottle backwards and gulped down the liquid.

This made Marcus smile as Rose handed it back over. "Please." He opened the curtain. "Go inside."

Rose led the way, Newt giving Marcus an untrusting look before following her.

It was chaotic, people running back and forth screaming and laughing. Music blared in the background causing all of the bodies to sway back and forth in a rhythm.

"What is this place?" he hollered towards her.

She just leaned back pulling him through the crowd. "It's a hornet's nest."

"Hornet's nest?"

"It's how WICKED gets their lab rats! What you drank out there, it's a drug. Trick's you into staying here until WICKED arrives."

"And you let me drink it?!"

"Relax Newtie." She turned back to face him. "I'm right here, it doesn't affect me. I'll keep an eye on you, but for now look for the others."

*****************************************************************************************************

Everything was slow from his point of view. Elongated, blurry. Her hand didn't leave his though, now he was following her like a lost puppy. Girls would try working their way to him, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

There was no luck so far finding their friends. Newt was completely out of it by now, he could hear voices, saw hallucinations. Every now and again he would see his lads. Galley, Alby, Frypan. They were all there. But then he saw her, the way she looked around the room. It hooked him like nothing else he could imagine. So stepping forward, his hands grabbed her hips and he pulled her against him. She stumbled at first, but colliding with his chest she stared forward. His head leaning over his shoulder, lips against her ear. "You gotta loosen up love..." he said tauntingly. "I can help."