Chapter Twenty-Nine: Getaway

The instant Derek and I stumbled across the doorstep of our rented hotel room in Los Angeles, I knew it was going to be a good weekend. We’d left the grief and pain of losing Erica behind us in Beacon Hills and instead decided to focus the entire weekend on us. After curling up together on our huge king-sized bed to take a quick nap that Friday night, Derek had insisted we get dressed up and go out, so we’d thrown on proper clothes and headed to a simple little restaurant that was only a five-minute walk away. Now we were walking back from the restaurant, me leaning heavily on Derek as my heels rubbed the pads of my feet raw.

“And you remember how pissed Isaac was when you walked in on him and Alice? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so embarrassed!” I giggled, staggering across the sidewalk and turning to grin at my boyfriend over my shoulder. Derek groaned, pulling me back to him by my hand and catching me in a surprise kiss. I opened my mouth in a small gasp, allowing Derek to slip his tongue in my mouth and deepen the kiss, wrapping an arm around my waist and bowing my body against his. Grinding my hips against his in anticipation, I felt Derek smirk against my lips and pull away.

“No fair,” I pouted, jutting my bottom lip out and bursting out laughing when Derek mimicked my expression.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make it up to you later,” he promised, a mischievous glint in his green eyes as he released his hold on my waist and continued pulling me along the sidewalk. I’d had a glass (or two) of wine at the restaurant since Derek was twenty-one and legally able to order it for me. Although I wasn’t drunk now, I certainly wasn’t in my right mind. This made for an interesting walk home, and by the time we’d finally made it to our hotel by the boardwalk, I’d lost one of my heels in the sand, knocked a baby out of their stroller, and stolen a beer from a guy outside a bar. Derek was thoroughly amused, although when the Beer Guy tried to get my number, he’d growled loudly and shoved the guy so hard he cracked the display window of the restaurant. We’d hurried home pretty quickly after that.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I slurred slightly, kicking off the shoe that Derek didn’t hold in his hand and falling face-first onto our fluffy duvet and clean sheets. I snuggled further underneath the covers while I listened to Derek get changed and then join me in bed. While I knew he’d be expecting sex on our little romantic beach vacation, I was so wasted that I promptly fell right asleep and barely even noticed when Derek wrapped his strong arms around my waist and pulled me firmly against his chest.

“Goodnight love,” he whispered tenderly in my ear, and the term of endearment alone brought a sweet smile to my lips. Instead of responding, I rolled over in his embrace and buried my face against his muscles, cuddling closer to my boyfriend and sighing in content.

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

            The next day, Derek and I finally made it to Venice Beach, where all the celebrities and famous people hung out. I was ecstatic, hoping to spot Nina Dobrev or Jensen Ackles, but so far we’d only seen some dancer from one of the Step Up movies and the brunette from New Girl. As Derek and I were walking past the volleyball nets, however, my glance brushed over a particular blue-eyed actor who had my heart rate going into overdrive just by looking at him.

“Oh my god, Derek – that’s Colton Haynes!” I exclaimed, hitting his arm to draw Derek’s attention over to where the shirtless man was ordering a drink at one of the bars. Derek scrunched his eyebrows, obviously trying to remember which show Colton was from before he finally grinned at me triumphantly.