Chapter Eleven: Acquisition

Almost immediately, Derek stepped in front of me and pushed me back up the stairs. The vampires hadn’t noticed us yet, but any second now they were sure to realize Derek and I were in the room as well. Not daring to speak, Derek widened his eyes and jerked his head back towards our bedroom, silently telling me to go hide upstairs. On normal circumstances, I would’ve been outraged at his blatant show of sexism, but I knew it really was in my best interests to avoid the fight. I turned to run back up the stairs, but my foot caught on the step and I fell, cursing loudly. Derek grabbed my arm, trying to help me, but I ended up sliding all the way down the stairs. I squeezed my eyes shut, certain that I was going to be ripped to shreds any second now, but nothing happened.

“We just want to talk to her. The girl,” one of the vampires said, stepping forward cautiously. He was extremely handsome; he had dark blonde hair that fell in messy waves over his forehead, intense dark blue eyes, and the kind of shoulders that just begged to be gripped in your hands. Instantly, Derek was by my side, helping me up and shielding me from the intruders. The vampire sighed, and I swear I saw him roll his eyes.

“Oh, please. We just want to talk.”

“Okay,” I surprised myself and everybody else in the room by replying. I stepped towards the vampires, but Derek’s grasp was like steel around my forearm. I widened my eyes at him, whispering “It’s okay, trust me” before breaking his hold and leading the crew of vampires into the kitchen. Isaac and Scott both tried to stop me, but I pushed on ahead, leaving my friends behind in the living room.

“How bout we talk in here,” I suggested, gesturing for the vampires to sit down at the table. There were actually seven of them, including the attractive one who’d spoken before, and as I took a seat, there were only four chairs left. The blonde sat down next to me, as did two females and a dark-haired man. The remaining three shifted on their feet uncomfortably, although one of the males decided to sit on the counter after a moment.

“I know this must be pretty weird for you, Christina. How bout we start by introducing ourselves, huh? I’m Damien, the leader of our unit,” the dirty blonde guy stuck out his hand to shake mine, and I smiled a little hesitantly. He knows my name? What’s a unit? Then the others went around, telling me their names and a little something about them. I felt like I was the new kid on the first day of school and we were playing The Name Game. 

“My name is Annie, and I’m pretty one,” the other blonde female joked, throwing her long, shiny straight blonde hair over her shoulder and giving me a dazzling smile. She certainly was beautiful, I couldn’t help but notice; with her perfect blonde hair, impossibly large bright blue eyes, and dewy clear skin, she looked like Miss America. She also could’ve easily been the sister of Damien, with their similar looks.

“Nice to meet you.”

“Uh, I’m Marcus, and I’d like to think I’m the brains behind the operation,” the next vampire introduced himself wryly, holding out his hand for me to shake. Marcus was the complete opposite of Annie and Damien – cropped dark hair, dark eyes, and creamy caramel-colored skin. I shook his hand carefully, trying not to flinch at his tight grip. The last vampire at the table was a pretty brunette, hair tucked back in a bun and small dark eyes focused intensely on my face. I squirmed a little under her scrutiny, waiting for her introduction.

“My name is Catherine, but please call me Cate. I’m the real brains behind the operation,” she smirked, shaking my hand briefly before turning to the guy behind her. He looked a little something like Chase Crawford, with his golden brown hair and pale blue eyes. His kind, open face turned to look at me, and I immediately blushed.

“I’m Milo. Nice to meet you,” was all he said, and I felt a little disappointed that I couldn’t learn more about him. Milo’s deep, rumbling voice was intriguing, as was the way he stood without shifting or even moving at all. It was a little unnerving, to be completely honest.