Chapter Nineteen: Heat

"We've what?!"I exclaimed, ripping my hand out of Derek's and jumping out of bed. Derek looked agonized, pushing a hand through his wavy black hair and beseeching me with his eyes.

"Mated. It's when a werewolf finds their soul mate, their other half, and it's extremely rare. It usually only happens between two werewolves, but I've never even met any wolves who have a mate."

"What the hell kind of supernatural crap is that?" I spat, trembling as an irrational fear descended upon me. I knew this was a bad idea. Now you're mated to him? What the hell? Get out while you can.  

"I'm sorry, Chris, but it's true. I recognize the signs," Derek sighed, standing up and regarding me with an intense, inscrutable expression on his face. I stepped even farther away from him, bending over to grab my clothes and quickly pull them on. My tank top was ruined so I just snatched up my purse and turned to go, an equal mix of rage and alarm stirring inside of me.

"Whatever, Derek. Just...leave me alone, okay?" I mumbled before I slammed the door shut behind me and fled the premises. Luckily I didn't run into Isaac or Erica on my way out, although I'm sure they knew what Derek and I had done. I hopped into my car and sped home, panic seizing me. I'd made a huge mistake by sleeping with Derek, but something in me had just wanted it so badly that it had clouded my judgment. Derek seemed to think it was because we were "mated" but that was ridiculous – I wasn't a werewolf! I needed more information about this whole mating thing if I was too refute the possibility with absolute certainty. I was not Derek's mate; I wasn't even his girlfriend anymore. That I was sure of.

            The next day I skipped school and drove straight over to the animal vet that Scott worked at. I knew Dr. Deaton was some kind of werewolf guru and hopefully he could help me out. I knew he knew about werewolves because he'd helped me and Derek with my pregnancy, but the odds that he'd know something about a werewolf myth seemed far-fetched. Still, I had no other options besides talking to Derek himself.

"Hello Christina, nice to see you again. How may I help you?"

"Hi Dr. Deaton. Um, I was actually wondering if I could ask you a question about...werewolves," I spoke slowly and tentatively, trying to feel out his willingness to talk to me. To my surprise and utter delight, he nodded quickly and smiled.

"Of course, ask me anything. I presume this has something to do with your werewolf boyfriend?"

"Actually Derek and I broke up. But this does have to do with him."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Well then ask away," he told me kindly, leading me over to a set of chairs and sitting down. I perched on the arm of the other chair, wringing my hands and trying to stem the heat in my cheeks so he wouldn't get any wrong ideas.

"Uh, well, after Derek and I broke up, I was...devastated. I couldn't even stand to be in the same room as him. But then suddenly, something changed. All I could think about was, erm, being with him and stuff," I admitted, looking down at my lap and waiting for Deaton's response.

"I see. And now that you're away from Derek, how do you feel? And be honest, please."

I took a deep breath, trying to be truthful about my feelings even though it scared me to death.

"I miss him, so much. And I don't want to, but I do," I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes as I thought of Derek, and how much I just wanted things to go back to the way they used to be.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you and Derek break up?"

"I found out he killed my dad."

"My, my, I can't imagine why Derek would-"