Chapter Twelve: The Search

***WARNING: RATED R-LEVEL SEXUAL CONTENT!!! See later warning if you want to skip it :)

          After three hours on the road driving who knows where, Damien finally pulled the car into a gas station. It was nearly six o’clock, and my stomach had been growling for the past hour. The car ride hadn’t been a silent one; I’d learned that Damien and Annie were big rap fans, and we’d listened to endless songs about sex, money, strippers, you name it – much to my displeasure, I might add. I hated rap music, but there was no way I was going to tell a car full of vampires that I didn’t like their taste in music. “F***kin’ Problems” by A$ap Rocky was playing as we pulled into the parking lot of the Shell gas station, and I cringed multiple times at the appalling lyrics.

“Okay, you can use the bathroom, get a snack, but be back here in ten minutes,” Damien told us, turning the engine off and hopping out. What is this, family road trip? I thought to myself sarcastically. The minute Marcus was out of his seat, I climbed over and nearly fell out of the car in my desperation to be away from the atrocities assaulting my ears.

“’I love bad bitches that’s my fucking problem’? What kind of lyrics are those?” I exclaimed as Derek took my hand and led me into the gas station. He smirked, shrugging.

“I don’t know, it’s kinda catchy.”

“They said the N word five times in one breath. There’s nothing ‘catchy’ about that.” Derek and I parted ways as I went into the ladies room to pee; a long car trip always had my bladder aching no matter how little I had to drink. When I was done, I went out to buy a snack. Derek was waiting for me by the door, earning him some sideways glances from the other people in the little shop. “Wanted Dead or Alive” by Bon Jovi was playing over the speakers, and I smiled to myself. Now this is some real music.

“We’ve only got four minutes. Hurry,” Derek told me, plucking a bag of barbeque chips off the shelf and taking a red Gatorade out of the glass console. I quickly selected a bag of plain Lays, a Hershey bar, and a Starbucks coffee drink and followed him to the checkout counter, blushing with pleasure as Derek paid for both of our things without hesitation.

“We’re switching up the seats. Christina, you’re in the front with Milo. Derek, in the middle next to Annie and Jake,” Damien instructed, and with one last worried look at Derek, I slid into the passenger’s seat beside Milo, who was driving.

“You get to pick the music,” he informed me quietly, starting the car and smoothly pulling out of the gas station parking lot. Without hesitation, I changed the radio station until “Midnight City” by M83 came on, and I turned the volume up. Behind me, I heard Annie groan and Jake cheer. I received a pat on the back a moment later, and when I turned, Jake’s face was pressed up on the corner of my seat, our lips almost touching. The proximity to his mouth, and more importantly his fangs, had my heart pounding in my chest. Derek’s menacing growl sounded from somewhere in the back, and I felt rather than saw Jake being jerked back. Smirking at Derek’s possessiveness, I danced a little in my seat until I felt Milo’s judging eyes drift over to appraise me.

“What?” I found myself snapping at him, turning in my seat to shoot him a glare. He shrugged nonchalantly, a tiny smile lifting the corners of his lips up.

“Nothing. You’re, um, you’re a good dancer.”

“Yeah, okay,” I laughed as sarcastically as I could, earning me a full grin from Milo. With his pretty boy hair and sparkling eyes, it was a wonder Milo wasn’t the elite jock you’d expect him to be. You barely even know him, Chris, my snarky inner-voice reminded me. As “Be Still” by the Fray came on, I settled back into my seat, striking up a conversation with Milo gradually. The hours passed, and as slow song after slow song popped up on the radio, I felt myself slipping into unconsciousness. I didn’t know if it was such a great idea to fall asleep in a car full of vampires, but I had Derek and Loni by my side. And I’m really tired.