Chapter Twenty-Three: Resistance

“For the last time, I am not yours,” I growled at Aiden, wriggling out of the arm he’d placed around my waist and storming over to dump my uneaten lunch in the trashcan by the double doors. For the entire week, Aiden had been attached to my side like a baby sister, following me and sitting beside me in every class. Somehow he’d gotten his schedule changed so that we took the same classes, even advanced Pre-Calculus. I’d begged Scott and Isaac to do something, but even they had taken one look at the ridiculous contract and shaken their heads sadly.

“Actually, you are. And as my mate, I refuse to let you out of my sight,” Aiden said in a sing-song voice, trailing me out of the cafeteria and towards my locker. My nerves were grated raw from his constant pestering, and on top of that, I missed Derek so badly it hurt. There was a persistent ache in my chest that wouldn’t go away, even when I was with my friends or watching my favorite show, or even eating my favorite food. Now that it had been nearly an entire week since Derek and I had so much as touched, I was starting to get splitting headaches in the middle of the day and stomachaches to add to the rest of the crap I was feeling.

“Well if I’m your mate, don’t you want what’s best for me?” I snapped, turning to regard Aiden with a frosty glare.

“Of course.”

“Then let me see Derek.”

“You know that’s never going to happen,” Aiden said in a low voice, his everlasting grin dipping into a scowl at the mention of my real mate. I’d tried several times in the past week to see Derek, but each time I’d barely even gotten out of the parking lot before Aiden had found me. Consequently, he now stuck to me like a leach.

            I was in the locker rooms changing, the one place that Aiden couldn’t follow me, when I suddenly thought of a brilliant plan so I could see Derek. After pulling on my blue Nike shorts and gray t-shirt, I walked over to my friend Alice, who was putting her long blonde hair up in a ponytail.

“Hey.”

“Hey!” Alice chirped, blinding me with a wide grin and motioning for me to sit down on the bench beside her. “What’s up?”

“I need your help with something,” I confessed, looking at her imploringly. Alice cocked an eyebrow, giving me a puzzled look.

“Sure, anything.”

“I need you to use your powers of seduction and slutiness for evil.”

“Excuse me?” Alice cried, widening her baby blue eyes in shock and slight insult. I wasn’t being a bad friend by calling her a slut, though; I mean she wore skintight spandex and the tiniest crop top I’d ever seen in my life to gym class to workout. Even now that she had a boyfriend, and a great one at that.

“Please! I just need you to distract Aiden for like five minutes so I can see Derek,” I begged, jutting out my bottom lip and clasping my hands together in front of me like a child. Alice rolled her eyes, cracking a smile at my antics.

Fine. But I resent you calling them ‘powers of slutiness’!”

“What would you rather I call it?”

“’Alice dear, could you please use your killer body, bodacious B-cups, shiny blonde hair, and flirty smile to distract my psycho-stalker for five minutes?’”

“Someone’s a bit full of themselves,” I mumbled with a chuckle as Alice left the locker room along with the twenty or so other girls who were in our gym class. Hanging back, I used Alice’s phone from her bag to dial Derek’s familiar number. He answered on the second ring, probably knowing it was me calling him; I’d also tried several times to talk to Derek from Scott’s, Isaac’s, Stiles’, and Alice’s phones, but Aiden had stopped me before the line had even started to ring.