Chapter Four: Separation

“Hey, how do you think you did?” Isaac asked me as we walked out of Mr. Harris’s classroom an hour later. I shrugged, reaching into my bag to retrieve my phone as it vibrated for the twentieth time since I’d arrived at school.

“Okay, I guess. I didn’t really understand that equation problem,” I said absentmindedly as I scrolled down my missed calls and texts, all from Derek. I excused myself from Isaac, walking over to a quiet stretch of hallway to listen to the three voicemails he’d left me. I definitely wasn’t in the mood to forgive and forget – Derek had kicked me out of our bedroom, made me almost miss my chemistry exam, and then tried to act like nothing was wrong!

Hey Chris, it’s me. I know you’re angry, and I’m sorry you were late for your test because of me – did you make it on time? I just wanted to apologize for all the drama last night, with Cece and everything. I hope you know that no matter who walks into my life, you’ll always be my number one. Okay, that’s it…love you,” Derek’s prerecorded voice said to me, and even though it was sweet, it wasn’t what I wanted to hear. I wanted him to say that he wasn’t so sure about Cece either, I wanted him to say we were in this together and that no matter what happens he’d be by my side. I hit play on the next voicemail, sent a half an hour ago.

Hey sweetie, so I know you’re ignoring my calls…and texts. Is there something else going on? Because I really am sorry for all the stuff with Cece. You understand why she wanted to sleep with me, though, right? I thought she was dead, but instead she’s just scared and alone, like I was before I met you. And now I just want to make her feel welcome, like she’s a part of our family, because she is! She’s my sister, Chris. Anyway, um, I hope you did well on your exam and I love you.” I grunted in annoyance, deleting the other voicemail before I’d even listened to it. I didn’t want to hear him try to justify his actions, especially not to me. Instead I pretended like nothing was wrong and went to History class. Since Erica wasn’t at school, I usually sat with Alice Landers, my blonde, slutty, very outgoing friend who I’d met a few months ago in gym class. She was a nice person to talk to, and actually gave surprisingly good advice when it came to Derek. Of course, she knew all about him, and how old he was, and that we were engaged. The only thing none of my friends (besides Erica and Isaac) knew was that Derek was a werewolf, and that I was pregnant with his werewolf baby. I’d been debating all night whether I should begin to tell some of my other friends at school that I was pregnant, considering I would start to show in the next few weeks; there’d be no way to hide it then.

“Alice, there’s something I need to tell you,” I said in a rush, making a snap decision to confide in her first. Well, if you get technical, the first girl at school to find out was actually Katherine, the girl from the bathroom. But Alice would be my first friend that I actually chose to tell.

“Sure, spit it out,” she chirped, running a few fingers through her long blonde hair idly. I’d always envied Alice’s naturally straight hair, especially since mine was a frizzy mess of curls.

“Okay, um…well, I’m, uh pre-“

“Okay, class, listen up! Today we’re going to be discussing World War II,” Mr. Byrd announced, striding into the classroom a couple minutes late and commanding our attention. I shrugged apologetically at Alice, turning my focus to our teacher while breathing an internal sigh of relief; maybe I wasn’t so ready to tell people just yet.

            An hour later, I was leaving the classroom after the bell rang when Mr. Byrd called me over to his desk. I motioned for Alice to go on without me, hanging back to go over to Mr. Byrd’s desk.

“Chris, could I talk to you for a minute?” he asked, and with a few pointed looks at the stragglers, the classroom was soon completely empty. I came over hesitantly, my knowledge of Mr. Byrd making my face heat up. Ever since I’d found out in February that he and Erica were in a relationship, it had been hard for me to see him as anything else than a sweet, caring, passionate man in love with my best friend. The way she described him never seemed to add up with the teacher figure that I saw him as, but their forbidden love had changed my perception of him.