Chapter Twenty-Two: The Alphas

I staggered home around midnight, barely managing to lift my hand up to knock before the door swung open and Derek’s shocked face swam into view.

“Chris! Where have you been?” Derek’s deep voice boomed, and the noise made me giggle uncontrollably. I stumbled against the doorframe, tripping inside our apartment and falling face-first onto the couch.

“Are you drunk?”

After the vet, I’d ditched Scott and Stiles to go with Aiden, who’d promised to explain everything if I went out with him for drinks. By some miracle, he’d actually managed to convince the bartender at the bar he’d dragged me to that we were twenty-one, and the trouble had started after the first margarita I’d ordered right away.

“So Aiden…what’s your deal?” I’d asked, taking a sip of my drink and staring him down intently.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you’re new in town, right?”

“That’s right.”

“So why’d you move?”

“My pack…we’re looking for someone,” Aiden said casually, downing three shots and ordering two more while he spoke.

“So you are in the Alpha pack?”

“Yeah.”

“And who are you guys after?”

“I’ll make you a deal, gorgeous. One shot, one question,” Aiden offered, smirking. I shook my head instantly, finishing off the rest of my margarita and slamming the glass down on the wooden counter.

“No way. I’m not letting you get me drunk,” I slurred slightly, my vision blurring for a second. I wasn’t a lightweight when it came to alcohol, but after a couple drinks I’d start to drop my inhibitions. And after the last time I got drunk (Derek’s birthday party), I wasn’t going to take any chances.

“Fine then, I guess I’ll just take you home.”

My desire to get answers about the Alpha pack and Aiden won over my reluctance to drink with a stranger, so I quickly grabbed the nearest shot and downed it quickly, the tequila burning its way down my throat.

“First question. Who are you guys looking for here in Beacon Hills?”

“Guy named Scott McCall,” Aiden answered, downing a shot of his own and licking his lips seductively. I resisted the urge to lean over and kiss them, remembering that no matter how cute Aiden was, he was NOT Derek. At least, I tried to remember that.

“Why are you after Scott?”

“Ah, ah, ah – drink first,” Aiden protested, sliding another shot of tequila over to me and smiling in satisfaction when I tipped that one back, too. The alcohol was starting to get to me, and I felt dizziness come on as well as the urge to laugh a lot. When Aiden ordered two shots of whiskey, I burst out laughing at the word whiskey.

“Whiskeeyyyy. What a weird word. It’s like a wish-key, ha ha,” I giggled absentmindedly, swigging the third shot as well and smiling drunkenly at Aiden, whose face was blurry.

“I think you’ve had enough. Who knew my mate was such a lightweight.”

“Mate? I’m not your mate, I’m Derek’s mate! Wait…did I say Derek? I meant I’m Derek’s mate!” I rambled, lifting my finger up to signal the bartender. As he poured the shot, Aiden wrapped both of his hands around my forearms and fixed me with an intense look that went unnoticed by my wasted self.