51. Please believe it

HARRY

When Harry went to bed that night, he was terribly tired, but he was also incredibly happy.

That Saturday afternoon they had thrown Matty a dinosaur themed birthday party at the Payne's house, and Harry had to give it to Louis, he was the best kids' birthday party planner in the world, because it had been amazing.

The whole place had been decorated with dinosaurs and trees, there had been games, really good food, a really cool dinosaur cake, presents, a dinosaur shaped pinata, and Louis had also hired a girl to paint the kids' faces, and that was just to mention a few things. So of course, Matty hadn't stopped smiling since the moment he walked inside that house and saw everything that had been set up just to celebrate his birthday.

But the best part was the people; Harry's sister and her husband had been there, as well as his his cousin with his kids, also his friends, who had also brought their kids, and of course the Payne's, and Liam's parents, Lou's sister, a few people who worked with Louis and their kids, and also a few kids Matty knew from when he went to daycare.

So it had definitely been a full house, except for Harry's mum, who unsurprisingly hadn't shown up.

Harry had called her on Wednesday to invite her, but she hadn't bothered to pick up the phone; still, Harry sent her a text telling her the time and place of the party, and she replied on Friday saying she wasn't going to go, with no explanation or excuse whatsoever.

But although Harry was a bit disappointed at first, he got over it soon, because more than enough people had shown up to celebrate his son's birthday, and those were the people who truly cared and loved Matty, and who wanted him to have a very happy birthday.

So of course he had fallen asleep feeling happy, but little did he know that when he opened his eyes, things weren't going to be as happy as they had been when he closed them.

"Hazza" Louis whispered, and shook him a little.

"I'm sleeping" Harry said groggily.

"Then wake up" Louis urged him.

Harry opened his eyes a little, and he corroborated what he had suspected; the room was completely dark.

"Baby, it's the middle of the night, let's go back to sleep" Harry said turning around to be able to cuddle Louis, but he was sitting on the bed, so it wasn't really possible "What's the matter, sweetheart?".

"I think something's wrong with Ruby" Louis said, and now he realized his voice sounded nervous.

"What?!" Harry asked, and in less than a second he sat on the bed, and he turned on the light on his nightstand.

"I don't know, I just... I haven't felt her move in a while" Louis replied, he had his hands on his belly and he was looking down at it.

"How long's a while?" Harry questioned, trying hard not to panic.

"I'm not sure, I think the last time I felt her move was this afternoon" Louis explained, his voice shaky "She should have kicked a lot when I ate dinner, she usually does that, but sometimes she doesn't, so I didn't think any of it when she didn't do it. But then we came to bed, and I expected her to kick for a while, you know how she always does that when I want to go to sleep for the night?".

"Yeah" Harry agreed, knowing it was true.

"Except she didn't do that, and she hasn't kicked all night, or even moved a little bit, I haven't slept waiting for her to do something" Louis told him "I even ate a muffin an hour ago, because she usually moves a lot when I eat sweet things, but not this time".