68. I don't want to get your hopes up

LOUIS

July, 2016

"I keep thinking I forgot something" Louis said out loud.

"Like what?" Harry asked while he drove.

"I don't know" Louis said, mentally making a checklist.

"Maybe we forgot Matty" Harry suggested.

"No, daddy" Matty said from the back seat.

"Oh, no, and he was so excited to come" Louis said following Harry's joke.

"Papa, I'm hewe" Matty insisted.

"We could go back for him" Harry suggested.

"Nah, he can watch the flat for us" Louis said dismissively.

"Papa!" Matty yelled.

He sounded a little upset, which told Louis it was time to stop, so he turned around, and realized he had been right, he looked grumpy.

"Matty! You're here!" Louis said, faking being surprised.

But Matty just crossed his arms, and gave him an accusing look.

"Papa and I were just kidding, love, we would never forget you" Harry told him.

"Youw mean" Matty replied.

"Don't be a grumpy pants, it was just a joke" Louis said still looking at his son.

Matty still didn't look too happy, but Louis decided to ignore him, knowing he was going to get over it soon. And he was right, because when Harry parked the car outside the Payne's house a few minutes later, Matty seemed completely fine. 

Niall and Liam had completely redone their backyard, and had even added a built in barbecue area, and a pool. Niall started complaining about the whole thing before construction even started, saying it was all Liam's idea, and that the pool was unnecessary because they lived in London and they were only going to use it a few times a year because of the weather. But despite his complaining, they had still done it, and now it was completely done, and they had invited the Tomlinson-Styles family over for a day by the pool.

And it was actually a sunny day, and it was kind of hot, so it a was perfect thing to do that Sunday.

It took them a few minutes to get the kids, and everything they had brought out of the car, but when they did, they walked up to the front door, and rang the doorbell.

Niall opened the door a minute later, wearing swim shorts, and a T-shirt, which was pretty much the same thing Louis, Harry and Matty were wearing.

"Hey guys, come on in" Niall said, ushering them inside.

"Thanks for inviting us" Harry said, always being polite.

"Whew is Jace?" Matty demanded.

"You could at least say hello to uncle Niall first" Louis said reproachfully.

"Hi, whew is Jace?" Matty corrected.

"He's outside in the pool already with the girls" Niall chuckled "Let's all go there".