Fade Away

Important: This is the sadder ending of the book, as well as the continuing one. The happy ending (last chapter) will NOT have a series. These chapters will be especially long. Enjoy!

<><>Ash's POV<><>

That's right... As of now, the true Primia of the beginning is still trapped, unable to leave, unable to disappear, such as balance dictates.

Then, if that's true... We must free it. No matter the cost, we must liberate Primia.

I convince myself Serena isn't dying. After all, she's really isn't. And, furthermore, she's accepted her fate, and I must respect that.

But the problem is... how?

By brute force? Or with words? Even so, I doubt either way will work.

There's a secret to it, and we just haven't uncovered it yet... Think, Ash, think!

I begin to ponder everything, ideas circulating, thoroughly examining every prospect in the Trial.

Every little thing we've stumbled across... it is somehow involved. This, I realize.

Absol. Maybe it wasn't chance, but fate. He told us the truth behind the whole situation, and so we believed him, and changed our course to the right path.

Serena's strange power of healing status effects of other people... That had come in handy several times, all of them very crucial to the battles (excluding the first time).

So basically, I need to take this from a different perspective. I need to think of this logically.

What have we done or seen that seems completely random, regarding the Life Trial?

That's the question we need to ask. My eyes meet with Serena's, and a split moment of understanding passes between us.

In that second, I am able to comprehend Serena's thoughts, and vice versa.

She is worried. Yet at the same time, determined.

This long lasting battle needs to end soon, and the question I'm asking myself is they key to do so.

Now, we just need an answer.

<><>Serena's POV<><>

Ash's reasoning is perfectly valid; somehow, it will be the key to drawing Primia's true form out.

Something that hasn't been involved, up until now...

Suddenly, I know. The answer is so simple, I had simply overlooked it: the Evolution Shards.

It fits into the criteria perfectly- though the stones and the spirits help me fight, there is otherwise no connection whatsoever.

Heart pounding wildly, I take a deep breath. Now that I know this... what exactly do I do?

Follow my instincts?

... or... can I even call them instincts at all-?

What if the path I've been following all this time was set up for me? I've always, in one way or another, known what to do in strange situations.

Instead of what I believe now are my instincts, maybe... maybe that's not me.

And maybe, just maybe... those really aren't my hunches.