The Replaced Future

<><>Ash's POV<><>

What... will happen, if we succeed? "Don't play around with us," I growl. "Knowing you, Darkrai, your words most likely are intended to throw us off!"

I insist, boy: I speak the truth. So let me ask again... Do you know what happens?

I grit my teeth, unsure of how to react. But Darkrai continues on, a smile slowly growing on its malicious face.

No doubt there's a twist to the words it will soon say.

The girl, Serena Yvonne, is from the future. This much you know; I will add onto it. If you proceed down the path you have chosen even further, and accomplish your goals of saving the future...

What will become of that current dark, existing world?

My eyes widen.

Surely you have realized there is only one place for the universe of the future. There simply cannot be two, as the laws of nature will deny it.

I shake my head vigorously, ignoring the shocked expression of Serena. "The laws of nature, you say? Darkrai, you yourself have gone against it! You have no right-"

Foolish boy! You are using that as an excuse to escape the bitter truth, and the possibilities that come with it.

As I flinch, my partner's hand gently lands on my shoulder. "I don't want to believe it, either." Serena takes a deep breath, swallowing.

"But we must hear it out..."

Scoffing, the Pokémon decides it ignore my remarks. Anyways. As I have mentioned before, there cannot exist two futures at the same time. In other words, the old one shall be replaced by new one.

And, rather, think of it as the author erasing what they had originally wrote before and instead filling the empty space with the new words.

Any and every trace of the old work disappears, and no one from the outside would know of the alternative, original plot.

"Any and every trace... disappears?!" I exclaim, incredulous. "Are you implying the future and everything of the future will vanish?!"

The cold grin stretches across the legendaries face, yet Shadow Primia's remains emotionless.

Yes. That is exactly the case!

The crazed laughter echoes throughout the darkened sky.

Do you finally understand now, boy?! The girl, along with that Absol and the future, will be gone! There will not be a truly happy ending for anyone!

"Shut up."

I flinch in surprise.

Serena's voice cuts off Darkrai's, quickly following the end of its sentence. "If that is how it is, we- or at least, I- won't stop. If it is for the sake of a brighter, better future, then I will gladly offer my existence for it!"

I reach out and grab Serena's arm. "No!" I shout. "Think about it! You won't even- you won't even be able to think about the brighter future you carved, after it's renewed!"

"You won't..." I mutter, tears slowly appearing in my eyes. "You won't be able to be there, when everything is fixed and good..."

But she only shakes her head, with a small smile. "I am just a small person in a large world, Ash. Are you saying you will let the world be consumed by perpetual darkness, just for one person's sake-?"

"If that person is you, then yes, maybe I would!"

My answer surprises her. I mean, it- it shouldn't though. I had nothing until I met Serena, and then I found a purpose. A purpose for my life. And if that sole reason suddenly went away... what would I do?

But, reconsidering it...

Isn't that being selfish?

I realize all I'm doing right now is just making the decision harder on Serena. I really should be more considerate of her, and respect her choices. After all, she doesn't want to leave either.

I stare at Serena in admiration and in amazement, wondering how this girl could muster up the courage to even think of such things, including her own... sacrifice.

I put my hands on her shoulders, pulling her to me. We end up in an embrace, and I have to force back any signs of weakness.

Well? Have you made your decision yet?

I pull away, Serena's own reaction going unnoticed.

"I'll follow your word, Serena."

<><>Serena's POV<><>

I sigh, relieved Ash understands. It all came so fast, like a bullet no one could ever predict. I remember despite all surprises that come our way, we must possess the ability to stay calm and move forward, no matter what.

Even if the cost is at large.

Well, this is the case for Ash and I. I don't want to disappear. He doesn't want me to disappear, either. But to a random person in this world, the price for the future is very small: he doesn't know me at all.

I know this for the best, for the greater good.

You'll continue down that same path, in the face of your disappearance?! How selfless of you, Serena Yvonne! But you see, I am also of the dark future, meaning, if you beat me, I will vanish as well.

And that is something I cannot afford! I want to exist! Unlike you, you idiotic human!

AND YOU ARE OKAY WITH DYING?!

I patiently wait for Darkrai's mad rant to end, understanding its feelings. It doesn't want to disappear, and in the moment of my refusal to stop, it had become... angry. And confused.

After all, I'm fairly sure any other being on this planet wouldn't be willing to go the extents I am going to. Everything isn't clear to Darkrai, and so it became... scared, of sorts.

"You're wrong. I'm not going to die. I simply won't exist in this world anymore. And yes, I am okay with this."

Ignoring Ash's worried look, I proceed to exude confidence. This truly amounts to be the final fight.

I promptly transform into my Sylveon form, determined to end this, once and for all. The boy next to me readies his hands for the next move.

On the opposing side, Darkrai wills a Dark Pulse to form in front of it. Shadow Primia begins to sacrifice its own movement and attacks to empower the other Pokémon.

"Let's go, Ash!"

"Right!"

====================

AHHHHHHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH! 3K READS IS AMAZING! AND I DUNNO WHY I FANGIRL AT MY OWN STORIES BUT THIS CHAPTER IS HYPING ME UP! I truly can't wait to start writing the next one! Your support is also helping me! THE PATH TO THE END OF THIS BOOK IS CLEAR!

-Ahem-... I'm more calm now. As I mentioned before in earlier notes, there will be two endings. This will remain the same. I think the next chapter will be normal, and the two after that will be the split/different/happy-sad endings.

The sad ending will be continued with a sequel, which I may write after the medieval Pokémon story and/or the Absol story. Also, if you're wondering 'why two endings', it is because the Pokémon Watty Awards (which I plan to enter later) requires the book to end. I will request the judges judge based on that ending (the happy one).

Hope you enjoyed! :)

~TheDreamRider