The Star Realm

<><>Ash's POV<><>

This Absol... I'm not sure whether to trust it or not. I believe he trusts us, though. Absol had told us everything.

However, he was also talking about retaining balance, by ending the Life Trial. And he's now traveling with us.

Well, yes, we did accept him for mostly one reason: he can help us with finding the Stone Fragments, help us with reaching the Star Realm Peak.

And then what? Just take the Orb of Beginnings, and destroy it? Even if we do become friends over time... that illusion would be shattered.

We would be enemies, unless we're absolutely certain one side is correct. We'll just have to wait and see.

Finally, we arrived at the... the Star Realm...

What?

There's nothing... but I'm certain we're at the Realm. We stand on a large mountain, rising high above the plains and valleys below.

The hike up was tiring, yet we still made it. To find absolutely nothing.

"It's hidden," Absol simply says. Serena begins to scan our surroundings, eyes narrow. "I'm positive this is the spot," I insist. "Where is the secret to getting there?"

Pikachu jumps off my shoulder, and sniffs the ground curiously, where the grass is tinted in a slightly different color. He then shouts, "Pika!" and waves his arms around, frantically trying to draw my attention.

"Huh? What is it, Pikachu?" I ask. The Pokémon instead picks up a small stone, and throws it on the ground, in the certain spot he was investigating.

Instead of landing with a small 'thump', the rock disappears. "What the-?!" I exclaim, immediately searching for its whereabouts.

Absol pads his way over. "Obviously, your Pikachu has found a clue," he telepathically says. "There is no way something like this would happen normally."

"What next?" asks Serena, to which Absol replies, "do you sense anything odd, girl?"

What does he mean, does Serena sense anything odd?

She closes her eyes, concentrating deeply, hands clasped together in front. I gasp, for a glow begins to emanate from in between her connected hands.

Serena opens her eyes, and holds out her right arm, palm facing the sky. Engraved into her skin are glowing, white etches.

The curves and lines form an oddly beautiful and unique design. A circle is the centerpiece of it all, and the rest of the pattern splays outwards.

(Pattern is picture above)

Serena closes her hand into a fist, as I say, "what is that? And how did you get that to appear on your hand?"

The girl frowns. "I don't know. As Absol said, I... sensed an odd feeling, and... I don't remember." The edges of my mouth turn down, as well.

Just... please, don't hurt yourself, Serena. I'm afraid.

Absol nods towards the area where the stone had vanished. "Place your hand on it. My theory is, when  you neared that area, it automatically saw you as worthy for entering, and marked the key on your hand."

"Worthy?" Serena repeats, confused. "Also, I didn't get to ask you before. How do you know all of this stuff?"

"After S- my partner disappeared," Absol hastily corrects himself, "I studied even more, just in case something I read could lead me to her."

The Pokémon says no more.

I abruptly question, "you still believe the Life Trial imbalances the world?" Absol sniffs, turning away. "Whatever. In the future, other factors you see may change your mind."

Serena walks to the spot and places her hand on the grass. Instead of vanishing, as the rock had, her hand makes solid contact, and instantaneously, the marks on her hand glow.

As the ground begins to shake beneath us, we all jump a little. Serena grits her teeth, and forces one eye close, as if she's feeling pain.

"Serena!" I yelp. "Are you okay?!" She weakly smiles, still completely focused. "I'm- I'm fine. Give me one more second."

"One more second... for what?"

Suddenly, and as if on cue, the grassy illusion we see begins to wear off, like ripples in water, to show that it has been always solid stone.

"No way!" I gasp. It appears everyone is on a circular stone platform, with the same design etched on the surface as Serena's hand.

The rumbling continues, and finally, it lifts off into the air.

Wait, I should be saying it like...

IT LIFTS OFF INTO THE AIR!

The sudden movement causes me to fall onto my knees, so I grip the edges of the rising platform. Serena does likewise. Pikachu is crouched low, and Absol is scanning the horizon.

"This is amazing," I breathe, and Serena nods in agreement. But still, her worry reflects in her eyes. I place my hand over hers, and she startles.

"It's going to be fine," I reassure her.

Is it me, or is she blushing a bit? I decide to ignore that.

"Thanks."

====================

Meh, I feel like this story is so rushed, with all the timeskips and all. Whatever. Also, yes, the design on Serena's hand IS the Relic Fragment in Mystery Dungeon.

Hope you enjoyed! :)

~TheDreamRider