Prologue

The house was quiet. Too quiet. But that makes sense. It's 5 am after all. I pull back the covers and see the blood. He's gone now of course. I sigh and get up slowly. I walk slowly and get in the shower. I clean the blood and smells of him off me. I step out and dry off. I go to my large closest and pull my Triple H shirt and sweat pants out. Triple H is my dad. I love him so much. I'll miss him. I think as I get ready.

I pull my bags down and pack only my favorite clothes and things I can't live without. I take all the money I have saved $900. It should get me to California I hope. I grab my bags and leave my room. Last time I'll ever see it. I walk to my brother's room. I need to say bye to him.

Seth is curled up asleep. I hate to wake him but it would kill me if I didn't say bye to my baby brother, my best friend. "Hey Seth." Seth opens his eyes. "Cora? It's 5:30 am." Seth moaned. "I know but I'm leaving." I said. "What? Where are you going? Take me with you." Seth said. "I can't Seth not this time. I'm going away for a long time. Something happened with Uncle Shane last night and I can't talk about it. But you have to stay. Mom and Dad can't lose two kids. Plus you have school. Your only 14. I'm 18. I'm a grown up. It's time I act one and care for myself. I'll be ok." I said. "But you have college. What about your classes at Yale?" Seth asked. "I have to go Seth. You can't stop me this time." I said. Seth starts to cry and it breaks my heart. "Seth I'm gonna be ok. Please look after Mom and Dad for me. I really don't want to hurt them more then I have to by leaving." I said about to cry myself. "Please don't go. Tell them what happened with Shane. They can fix it." Seth pleads. "I've already caused them enough trouble Seth. It's time I go." I said. Seth nodded understanding. "But I'll miss you." He said sadly. "I'll miss you too." I said just as sadly. "I love you. Be good for me." I said. "I love you too and promise I will." Seth said. I leave knowing we are both about to cry if I stay any longer. I'll never see my baby brother and best friend again and we both know it.

I walk downstairs with my bag. I'll leave Mom and Dad a quick note. I grab a paper and pen. I start thinking of everything as I write. Seth mostly. For 14 years my only friend was Seth my little brother.

When I was 3 the only thing I asked for for my birthday was a brother or sister because I was lonely and needed a friend. My parents travel for work a lot. They promised to try but of course it didn't happen in time for my birthday. But a few months later my mom got pregnant. I talked to her stomach and kissed it everyday.

In late May my stupid Uncle Shane arranged for the family to go on a trip to Northern Canada. It was cold and snowy. We got lost going to the place and we had to stay in a cold abandoned cabin till help came. My mom got really sick and gave birth to Seth 2 months early in this stupid cabin. He was born sick and his right leg was crooked at birth but I loved him all the same. Help came and my mom and new brother went to the hospital. They both eventually got better and came home. Seth was sick a lot and he can't walk on his right leg. He's small for his age and has to be homeschooled on online because of his illnesses but I love him all same. He's the best friend anyone would want. He's loyal, kind, and caring.

I start crying. I'll miss him so much. I look down at what I wrote to my parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry you had to wake up and find this. I really didn't want it to be this way but he didn't leave me a choice anymore. I love you both so much. Thank you for giving me and Seth such a beautiful life. Please look after Seth for me. He'll need you both a lot more now. Thank you for paying for my college at Yale. I'm sorry I won't be continuing it. I'm not leaving because of something you did I'm leave because I need to. Please please don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I love you both so so much. I'll be safe I promise.

Love always,
Cora
Ps: I'm taking the red Cadillac

It's dad's favorite. He won't mind. He loves me that much and that's why it breaks my heart to leave. I quickly get the keys to the car and my bag. I wipe my tears. I need to leave now before I change my mind. Cause if I did I'd never leave and he would get me again. I sigh and go to the garage. I put my bag in the car and get in. I back out and drive as the tears fall knowing I'll probably never see my family again. And it's all Shane's fault.