Artistry and Musical Influences

Image and Musical Style

The group has a versatile image ranging from a tougher, bad boy to a more youthful image. They focus mainly on the hip hop genre while appealing to youth also. MTV's Corynn Smith stated that BTS has incorporated hip hop beats as well as rock-inspired elements for their singles: "Danger" and "Boy in Luv". BTS has been called the "KPop's Social Conscious" by Jeff Benjamin, who noted that the group has found "a way to speak honestly about topics they deem important, even in a conservative society".

Lyrics

Through their many releases, BTS has tackled school bullying, the pursuit of happiness and rejecting society ideals in its lyrics. During an interview with Cuvism Magazine, it is stated that their name, "Bangtan Boys", means "to block out the world's bullets", which reflects the group's desire to write music about society's oppression as well as lyrics that the youth may relate to. J-hope states: "I think we get a lot [of inspiration] from our daily lives. There are lots of things we could write about even here, and we get lots of inspiration while going to the practice room and while we're eating. We tend to write about small things. We have a song called "좋아요" (Like) and it's about someone checking their ex-girlfriend's SNS account and pretending to be cool about pressing the like button. Like this song, we write lyrics about small things."

Source: Wikipedia