Anyways, I managed to escape through a bathroom window and meet up with my friends a half hour later in an alley a couple blocks down to continue our night. I didn’t worry about getting home. I knew all I had to do was call and I’d be picked up in seconds. It’s not like I’d be able to sneak IN to the White House anyways. I went out at night knowing I’d get caught.

And in the morning, my dad would yell at me, give me a slap on the wrist, and send me on my way only to have to repeat it the next morning. This morning, when I’m ushered into his office, he’s looking even more tired than usual. I can’t tell if it’s from the stress of his job, or if it’s from the stress of having your 18-year-old daughter evade the guards assigned to watch her. Not that it really mattered to me.

“You couldn’t have given me a break for one day could you?” he asks with a sigh, rubbing the back of his neck as he looks down at his desk. I don’t respond and eventually he looks up at me. Probably to see if I’m even paying attention.

“You’re taking your sister to the One Direction concert tonight.”

“What? No! She just saw them yesterday,” I protest.

“And she wants to go again and see their actual concert,” he says calmly.

“Can’t you just have Marcus go with her?”

“He’s busy with other things. Their security team will keep an eye on you, but they’ll be busy with other things. I need you to take care of your sister. We’ll send a team to collect you after the show.”

I have to bite my lip to hold back the growl of frustration. Some bubblegum pop band was the last place I wanted tonight and my mind immediately begins to weigh the pros and cons of ditching out tonight. Pro I wouldn’t have to go see some stupid boy band. Con, my dad had been hinting at another boarding school and this might just send him over the edge. Pro, I could do whatever I wanted to tonight. Con, I really didn’t want to wear some stupid uniform for how many weeks it took until I was kicked out of a new school.  Pro, my ears would still be intact the next morning. Con the alcohol withdrawal from the first couple days there would be complete shit.

“Fine” I growl. I had to pick my battles and this wasn’t worth getting sent off to the middle of nowhere for.

“Good,” he says dismissively and I turn on my heels, stalking out of his office. Now I was stuck going to some prissy concert with a bunch of screaming children. Joy. I’d rather inject battery acid into my veins. Even worse was the time she insisted we go at. The concert didn’t start until 7:30 so why the hell would we arrive at a quarter to 3? Was the band even here yet? Luckily, we didn’t have to wait outside with the other crazies. We were escorted in to the backstage rooms where we were officially handed over to the band’s security team. Presidential perks. Time passed, and I watched as Varshitha fidgeted around on the couch. I got the feeling we’d just been shoved into a spare room until the concert or whatever started. Nobody was coming in or out and it was fairly empty. I was going to die of boredom.

“Wait here,” I order Varshitha as I stand up and walk to the door.

“They told us not to leave,” she tells me. As if I didn’t know that.

“Yea, which is why you’re going to stay here,” I reply, opening the door and looking either way before slipping out into the hall. We had backstage badges so I wasn’t worried about being kicked out of the area, but I didn’t want someone to find me and force me back in that room. I needed a smoke.  It takes me a bit, but I eventually locate an emergency exit and I slip out the door, setting a rock in the door jam to keep it open. I pull out a pack of cigarettes, taking one out and putting it to my lips. I’m just shielding the flame from the wind as I light it, when the door opens more. Fuck, I’ve been found. I think before someone steps out. I breathe a sigh of relief, taking the cigarette between two fingers as I recognize the person. It’s the one in the band with the cheekbones. What was his name? It was something exotic.