Chapter Seven

She peered at the robed figure. "We have much to discuss." The one calling himself the Councillor spoke again. "We are already behind on your training, and time is of the essence."

Alex returned her gaze to his. "My training?"

"Yes, of course. One cannot run an empire without being properly trained."

"You are going to show me how?" She shook her head in exasperation and couldn't help but chuckle to herself. What could possibly happen next?

The robed figure folded his hands in front of him as he cocked his head to the side in question. "What's so funny, Empress?"

"I'm just trying to figure out what 'training' I could possibly need."

His face remained emotionless despite her attempted taunts. "There will be lessons in diplomacy."

"Are you going to teach me how to ballroom dance and curtsey to the nobles?" she inquired with a mocking tone. "Tell me, will there be homework? And how would that grading curve work?"

The Councillor was not amused. "Empress, there may be some—"

"You don't want to overdo it before we have even begun, do you?"

Treyan's voice echoed through the library as he strolled toward them. He continued to walk past the Councillor, his eyes intent on Alex until he stopped with the wooden pedestal between them. Leaning on its edge, he traced a finger right above the cover of the book.

"Enjoying some heavy reading, are we?"

Every fiber of her being was on edge as he smiled at her. Clenching her hands into fists at her sides, she tried to forget what the book had shown her, those small glimpses into his life that weren't hers to see. And though she didn't feel guilty for running from him like she did, she knew much more about him now, yet truly still knew nothing at all, which only added to the confusion. Despite it all, she still felt comforted, though hesitant, toward that smile. Perhaps there was a chance she'd be able to talk to him before she made her final escape. To thank him for trying to show her a different world, to opening her eyes to another way of life, even though he more or less kidnapped her from her apartment. Even still, she felt she owed him that much.

Unfortunately, she felt it would not be right then as the Councillor cleared his throat, apparently wanting to regain her full attention. She hadn't even realized she had focused on Treyan and cursed at herself as she pulled away from his stare and returned her gaze to the Councillor, who was now fully focused on the prince beside her.

"So glad you could join us, my prince," the Councillor interjected, a thick brow raised. "The Empress and I were just discussing the course of training during the days to come. Though I was surprised to see her roaming the palace, after you informed me of how injured she was."

Treyan shrugged at the Councillor's questioning gaze, giving Alex one final glance before turning his attention wholly to the Councillor. "We've had some complications."

The Councillor did not seem amused. "With all due respect, my prince, these complications of yours could be exactly the delay Reylor needs."

He returned his attention to Alex. "My apologies, Empress, but as you can see, we are teetering on the edge of desperate times." He sighed as if to compose himself. "If you would not mind, perhaps we can continue this conversation elsewhere? Somewhere a little better suited for the conversation at hand?"

Alex looked to Treyan for further guidance, but before she had a chance to respond, the Councillor turned on his heel and retreated through the main library door.