Chapter 19

I run as fast as my feet can carry me. No scratch that, I stumble as fast as possible considering the situation.

I can feel the piece of glass still in my thigh, cutting deeper every time I move my leg. As if that wasn't enough, sharp rocks and sticks scratch and cut into my feet as I move them across the uneven ground of the forest.

At least it's light outside, so I can see where I'm going and avoid falling flat on my face. Which knowing me, is actually a wonder that it haven't happened yet.

It's weird to be outside again, it feels like it has been a lifetime. But unfortunately I can't even enjoy it, since I know I'm nowhere close to free or even safe. Right now it can go both ways.

As my feet keep moving and I run with air in my hair instead of my lungs, my thoughts go to Harold.

Does he know what I did? Is he on his way home? Will I get away or is he gonna find me again?

I shake my head getting rid of those thoughts. I refuse to think like that. I'm gonna get away and I'll tell the police everything and then they'll lock him up so he can't hurt anyone else.

As I let myself concentrate on something other than actually looking where I was going, my foot gets stuck on something. I feel myself falling over and I don't even have time to brace myself before I land on the ground with a thump.

Pain spreads through my leg like electricity and I shut my eyes and clench my teeth, as my fingers dig into the cold ground.

I stay there for a bit waiting for the pain to decrease before I look down to see de damage. I winch when I see the weird angle my foot is in still stuck under a root of a tree. Not the mention that the piece of glass has gone even deeper into my leg and I can feel it rubbing against something I know it definitely shouldn't be rubbing against.

Slowly I pull out my foot from the root and twist it carefully. It still hurts badly but I don't think it's broken.

I move onto my thigh, holding onto it with shaking hands. I don't actually know if what I'm about to do is gonna work or it if's even safe, but it's what they always do in the movies. So I take deep breaths before I let my fingers dig into the wound to get out the piece of glass.

I shut my eyes tightly and have to bite down on my other hand to prevent me from screaming my lungs out.

I fucking hurts, more than anything I've every tried before, but I keep moving my fingers. Tears roll down my cheeks and I'm just about to give up when I feel it. It's deep and I know it's gonna hurt like a bitch.

I take small quick breaths as I let my fingers close around it, and hold my breath before I pull.

Not even my hand can keep my screams away this time. I get out the piece but I don't even bother looking at it, I just let myself fall back on the ground taking deep breaths.

My vision goes black and at first I think it's from the pain, but that only until I actually look down and see the amount of blood pouring out of the wound.

As said I've seen plenty of crime shows and horror movies to know that this is in no way good. I quickly pull of my t-shirt and tie it tight around my leg trying to keep the blood from leaving my body.

I try pulling myself up, since I know I have to keep moving if I have any desire of getting away from that psycho, and trust me I do, more than anything else. The only thing is I don't know how far I can make it before I've lost too much blood.

As sent from heaven, the sweet sound of a car fills my ears, and thinking that whoever is driving can be my savior, I will myself to move towards the sound.

The small amount of energy that my body still has, terrifies me and the thought of not making it and dying on the cold forest ground pushes it's way into my mind.

I mover forward slowly and definitely not surely. I stumble from tree to tree, trying to stay standing as I jump on one leg, dragging the other behind me.

The sound gets higher, which means the car is getting closer. I move as fast as I can, with my leg feeling numb under me. My sight gets blurry and I'm not sure wether I see double or not.

The trees are clearing up. Only a few meters to go.

I get closer and closer and so does the sound of the engine. I can see the road and the engine roars but I can barely hear it from the pounding in my head.

I'm at the forest edge as a black shadow rush past me. Knowing that was my last shot I let myself fall, using the last strength to push of the ground. I land on the road but it doesn't even hurt, I cant feel anything.

I hear the sound of wheels skidding on the asphalt, letting me know that whoever was driving the car must have slammed the breaks. Which means he or she must have seen me and is coming to help me right?

Hope blossoms in my chest again as I hear the car door slam and feet running across the road, the sound of footsteps coming closer.

I open my eyes to see a pair of brown boots and try to move my eyes to see my savior, but that isn't necessary as he bends down, sitting in front of me.

I have never in my life been as scared as I am in the moment I saw his face again. The face i hoped I would never have to lay my eyes on, but also know would hunt my dreams for the rest of my life. Surely this is it, he's gonna kill me now.

He's facial expression is at first full of anger, hatred and betrayal. I want to run away, fight for my chance to get away or at least beg for my life. But I can't do anything, I can't even move.

The pain, fear, exhaustion and hopelessness has left my body completely numb, but I can still feel the warm tears falling from my eyes as if they are meant to fix me, which I know they can't.

He's eyes quickly find my wound I know he sees all the blood since all his seems to leave his face completely.

He wastes no time picking me up and running to the car. I am put down on something soft and I hear doors slamming and the engine roaring to life.

I don't know where he's taking me, if it's all too late or if he'll manage to save me. My last thought before everything goes black is: I hope to God that he won't.