A Place to Belong

Here is the next chapter, I hope anyone who is reading this likes it. Just a quick disclaimer also, I own the story line not the characters. I only own the characters at the high school. Thank you! 

*******************************************************************

Castiel POV

Castiel didn’t know what to think after lunch. He’d sat with a group of people for the first time in a long time. The group accepted him, they didn’t talk to him much but they didn’t question why he was there either. It was a nice to change to what he was used to.

When Sam had introduced him to the boys, Jason and Mac, they had smiled and said hi. Not sarcastic or anything, they actually looked happy to see him. They asked him a few questions about himself which Castiel hadn’t felt weird or anxious about answering at all!

They asked him if he was a senior and how hard it was. They asked him a few questions about his name and interests. The boys were polite and didn’t push him to answer whatever he didn’t want to. Was this what it was like to have friends? This sweet feeling that everything was going to be okay, that he didn’t have to worry about tomorrow? It was a nice feeling; looking around at the other round tables with their obvious cliques, it was nice to know that in this one he wasn’t being judged.

When lunch blocked finished and he left to go to his next classes, he felt...happy for once. He actually wanted to be at school and wished he could be a freshman again. That way he would be able to be with Sam, Jason and Mac. Maybe if he was a freshman again, he wouldn’t be lonely this time. Maybe he would actually have people to talk to in his classes... It was a big maybe but a nice one to think about.

He walked down the hallway, looking at the ground and seeing the lights above reflected onto the polished floors. He ignored the laughter and kids around him. Castiel just wanted to get to his class unmarked for once. If he kept his head down and walked swiftly he could get there. As long as he didn’t draw attention to himself, he would be fine. Castiel was used to this. He could do this.

Blending into a crowd was his specialty. A talent he had been perfecting since he was in junior high all those years ago. Before he’d met Dean, before he’d thought it was possible for him to be happy.

The rest of the day went by in a sort of blur. Castiel didn’t process what was happening around him. All he knew was that he walked to one class, sat and took notes, next class, sit take notes. The familiarity of the routine almost put his brain to sleep. He felt his consciousness leaving a little as he stumbled out of his last class. He stepped out in the bright cool sunlight of fall. All around him kids were spilling out of the doors. They pushed past him, ignoring he was there all together. They laughed and pushed their friends around jokingly. Bright foliage fell from the trees in the school yard and kids jumped and threw them at each other.

Honestly, high school was the most immature place ever. Still throwing the leaves around and jumping in them made Castiel wish he was confident enough to join in. He just couldn’t, he couldn’t knowing full way the looks he would receive. The judging looks.

Castiel moved to the side and sat down on a wooden bench by himself. He would wait here until Dean came out and they would go back to his house for their daily tutoring sessions. He knew he had football practice after school. There was no way Castiel was going to sit in the bleachers and wait for him though. He didn’t want to be there where all the other jocks who weren’t like Dean would see him. Besides, this would be a good time to get his homework done so he could just focus on helping Dean this afternoon.

He worked for a good ten minutes before a shadow was cast over the page he was writing on. Blinking, he looked up into the brown eyes of Sam Winchester. The boy grinned at him and then plunked himself down beside Castiel and pulled out his own homework saying “I figured you might like some company. I hope you don’t mind if I do some work myself.”