New Friends Are Hard to Make

Okay here is the next chapter, it is a still early in the story so I am sorry if it feels like I am rushing anything. Please tell me if you think it is. Also the cover is a work in progress, I don't know what I am going to do for it yet. Ideas are appreciated! 

                                                                                *****

Castiel POV

Castiel didn’t like home. He would rather stay on the street than hang out with his dad alone. He didn’t have much choice though, since he had no friends he didn’t have an excuse to be anywhere but home.

That had to be the most frustrating part, having no friends. Sure he had survived this long and had managed to do excellent in school because he had no distractions. It was still hard though, going through life without anyone to be with.

He knew his dad worried about his lonely life, but Castiel also knew that his dad loved having him around all the damn time. That way he never had to worry about him getting into any trouble.

Either way, Castiel knew it was time to find some friends and have a place to be other than his house. It was just easier said than done.

He turned onto his street and made his way slowly toward his house. Dread began to fill up in his chest as his house loomed closer. It wasn’t a scary house per say. It had a white picket fence surrounding it completely, the house itself was a dark brown and rose up two storeys including a basement that couldn’t be seen from the street. The pathway that led up to the house was cement and there was a grassy lawn on either side of it that Castiel mowed on the first Sunday of every month. He bounded up the front porch steps, took out his key and entered the house.

“So, is that you?” His dad’s voice called from the living room.

Castiel heaved a sigh and moved into the room “Yeah, it’s me Dad.”

“Oh good, where were you?” He asked, standing up and walking over to his son. He gave him a quick hug and then moved on into the kitchen “I made some meatloaf, I don’t know if you’re hungry or not. There is a lot left over if you want some.”

“Thanks. I’ll have some in a bit.” Castiel replied. He avoided the first question on purpose. He didn’t want his dad to know that he was now a tutor. He would just make a big fuss about it.

His dad said nothing more on the subject of where he’d been anyway. He nodded and then walked up the stairs to his room, probably to work. He was the manager of a business company that specialized in mechanics. Castiel wasn’t entirely sure what it was they did, but it didn’t really matter to him either way.

Taking a plate down from the cupboard, he served himself a piece of the meatloaf and sat down at the table in the kitchen.

While he ate, he began thinking about ways he could help Dean. The tutoring sessions would have to be more than him just giving him the yes and no on his homework. In test it didn’t work that way. He could probably give him studying tips, worksheets too.

His thoughts moved from how he could help Dean to Dean himself. He couldn’t help but wonder why such a popular kid would even bother trying to have a conversation with Castiel. The whole time he’d been studying with him, he’d been trying to get to know Castiel a little bit. He had actually cared.

No matter what Castiel tried to tell himself, he knew that Dean had been genuine the whole time.

He always did this, doubted whatever anyone told him and tried to live alone. He tended to do what he was told on his own terms. It was a bad habit he thought, but the teachers at the school seemed to see it as strength and a show of leadership. It made him smile to even think about. He wasn’t a leader and could never see himself becoming one either.