28: Texting Farkle

Chapter Twenty-Eight
Maya Hart

    "Riley, where's your phone?" I asked as I dragged her into her apartment.

    We had just sped walk all the way from my house, so I could tell that Riley was a bit tired and annoyed with me at this point. But I don't care because I need to find out who actually ran me over pronto! Plus, I know that Riley can't stay mad at me for too long. But, something tells me that it was not my dad in the car that ran me over. It had to have been someone else. Something tells me that my father is innocent.

    "Why do you need it?" Riley questioned.

    "Because I need to call someone with it."

    Riley gave me a confused look, then titled her head. "Maya, we're in limbo."

    "So?"

    "Will they be even be able to hear you?"

    I paused for a moment. I didn't think of that. "Good point. I need to text someone with it then."

    "Why?"

    "Because like I said, something tells me that my father was not the one who ran me over! I think his car might have been broken into by someone else. And, I know just the guy who can help us figure out who it was."

    "Can't you just use your phone?"

    I glared at Riley.

    "What?"

    "Riley, after being in a coma for four months, do you really think I'm gonna remember where the heck I put my cell phone?... But now that I think about it, it's probably somewhere in the hospital since you said that the doctors found my mom's cell phone number and my house number in it and tried to call them. Ain't no way I'm walking all the way to the hospital since yours is right here."

    Riley looked down and sighed. "Fine, I'll go get my phone..."

    "Ok, thank you, but why are you acting as if you don't want me on it? Riley, I'm your best- I mean, girlfriend. You used to let me on your phone all the time before I went into a coma. In fact, I even know your passcode for crying out loud! Why are you acting like this?"

    Riley hesitated for a moment. "Well, while you were gone, Lucas and Farkle knew how much I was missing you. Every night either one of them would check in on me by texting me something like, 'hey, Riles, what's up? Everything going ok?' And some nights, I would be really sad, so I would start texting them about how much I missed you. Farkle and I would reminiscence on all of our good memories with you."

    Riley sniffled. A tear slid down her cheek. I frowned. I hated seeing my Riley upset.

    "And I'd tell Lucas about all of the good times you and I had with one another," Riley continued, "I don't want you to see those texts because I don't want you to see how sad I was. I don't want you to see how much of a mess I was without you. Because if you did, I know that it'd make you sad."

    I looked down and sniffled. "I'm so sorry that you had to be without me, honey."

    I then walked closer over to Riley and lifted her chin up with my hand so that we were both looking into each other's eyes. "But guess what?"