25: Explaining the Love Story

Chapter Twenty-Five
Riley Matthews

I told them everything. I told my family about the ice skating story. I told them about how I fell onto Maya. I said that we both could not stop blushing and that is when we developed feelings for another. I was developing a crush on Maya, and I could tell that Maya could read my feelings. I told them that I was not quite ready to accept these new feelings. I said that I had gotten upset because I thought that me having feelings for Maya ruined our friendship, so I ran away.

    I then explained how later on, I realized that Maya had the same feelings for me that I had for her. I replayed the scene in my head and realized that by the way Maya was acting, talking, and looking at me, that she was developing feelings for me too. But at the time, I was not ready to accept myself. I did not know what people would think of me if they found out that I, a girl, like liked Maya, another girl. Most importantly was not ready to accept fact that I was crushing on my best friend. Sure, Lucas is my best friend too, but with Maya it was different. I have known Maya since preschool, so we are like two-peas-in-a-pod. I have only known Lucas since last year.

    Now was I aware that it is possible for me to like a girl? Yes, yes I was. When I found out about what sexuality was, I had known that I had only ever liked boys, but was well aware that that could change one day. I was well aware that I could like a girl. I just never knew that that girl would end up being Maya... I always told myself that if anybody ever asked me what my sexuality was, I would say that I have only ever liked boys, but do not know because I do not have much experience with relationships or any of that. And even though I'm dating Maya now, I still don't know. She is the only girl that I have ever liked.

    But at the time, I was not ready to face the fact that I liked Maya or that she liked me. I was not ready for a relationship beyond friendship with her. I told Mom, Dad, and Auggie that I ended up running to the apartment instead of turning around and apologizing to Maya, which was what I should have done.

    Maya then explained her side of the story for a quick second. She said that she knew that me running away had nothing to do with her. She knew that I was in denial and did not want to accept my feelings because I was afraid of the repercussions of us coming out. Also, Maya said that she had knew that the only place I would run too was the apartment, so she went there to go and look for me. She said that when she had gotten there, she did not see anybody, but she had a feeling that I was there. She told them that she started to apologize to me since she felt that she had been forcing me into telling her into telling her my feelings because she had said, "I don't know, Riles. I don't know what is going on inside of your head; only you do. You tell me," when I asked why she didn't put me down yet and why I didn't decide to get up yet.

    That's when I explained that I had dashed into Mom and Dad's room and could hear everything that Maya was saying. I told my family that at that point, I no longer wanted to be afraid. I wanted to come out and apologize to May for running away from her, and just as I was about to, I spotted a family portrait. That's when I realized that my family was not home. I started to wonder where they were, but then figured out exactly where they were. I told Mom, Dad, and Auggie that at that moment, I forgot about Maya for a split second, jumped out from the side of the building, and started running towards the hospital.

    Maya then chimed in again and said that after about an hour of talking and not getting a response, she realized that even if I was in the apartment, I was no longer there. She wondered that if I was not in my apartment, then where else could I be? That is when it hit her and she did the same exact thing that I did and started dashing towards the hospital. I told my family that as soon as I had reached the room, I had spotted them and saw how sad they were. I said that I could hear what they were saying and felt really bad. I recited everything that I heard them say that I could remember, and Mom, Dad, and Auggie started to tear up.