21: You Found Me

Chapter Twenty-One
Maya Hart

*Start playing "You Found Me" by the Fray.  WARNING: If you are sensitive like me, then brace yourself for an emotional chapter*

    "I guess she's not here," I said to myself after staying in Riley's apartment for about an hour, trying to apologize to her and telling her that it's ok to be who she is, and not getting a response. "Either that, or she ran away from me again..."

    "But if she's not here, then where could she possibly be?" I started to think really hard for a moment. That's when it hit me. I know EXACTLY where Riley is.

    I then ran over to the bay window that's in the Matthew's living room and walked right through it. I was now on the fire escape. I grabbed onto the railing and peered down at the busy street filled with dozens of people and cars, which looked tiny from two-stories up, for a second. That's when I jumped. Since I am in limbo, I landed on my two feet, perfectly unharmed. I bolted down the streets, dashing through thousands of people and cars.

*Start playing "You Found Me" by the Fray. If it goes a little fast for you, then you can pause the music if you need to*

    I didn't stop running until I reached the place where I've been for the past couple of months. The hospital. I ran right through the waiting room and down the hallway until I saw a familiar-looking girl standing at the doorway of a familiar-looking room. Riley.

    I found God on the corner of First and Amistad
    Where the west was all but won

    She was standing at the doorway to my hospital room. She had her head down and was making quiet whimpering noises. Oh my gosh... she's crying... But why? I then peered into the room. I gasped. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews and Auggie were there. They were all standing over the bed were my and Riley's real bodies were lying. They were all holding my and Riley's hands. All three of them were sobbing.

    I said, "Where you been?
    He said, "Ask anything."

    Where were you
    When everything was falling apart?

    "How did this happen, Mommy and Daddy?" Auggie asked, "I know how Maya fell into a coma, but how did Riley?"

    Mrs. Matthews sniffled and wiped away som tears. "We don't know, sweetie. The doctors said that they didn't know either."

    Mr. Matthews let out a small little sob. "They said that they just found her like that... W-we knew th-that you'd be upset once we told you... We're so sorry, Augs."

    Auggie just sighed and squeezed the hand on Riley's real body. "It's ok... It's not your fault..."

    I sniffled. I was starting to get upset too. "Riles...," was all I could say as I put a comforting hand on the girl who was standing at the doorway's shoulder.

    "M-Maya?" Riley asked as she turned her head around. Before I could say anything, she pulled me into a bear hug and began to sob louder. I hugged her back and began to sob too.

    Lost and insecure
    You found me, you found me

    "Y-you f-found me, M-Maya...," Riley breathed out. "I-I'm s-so sorry! I'm such a jerk! I shouldn't of ran away from you like that! I'm such and idiot! It's just that I'm so darn insecure! I-I'm a-afraid of what people will think of me and-"