Chapter 46

"One rule we do have is that we are limiting Tony to only taking four of the painful and potentially deadly results of the wheels. That actually was the subject of quite a debate among the event designers here. At first, they were going to let him have the opportunity to take all of the spins himself, but they decided it would be more... exciting to have him only able to take four of them. That way, at least one is going to have to be taken by either Aleale or his daughter, with Tony forced to pick which one. That should be interesting. Also, to make sure this event goes as planned," He gives Nicole a dirty look. "If he fails to choose a member to take the result shown, all members of the team will receive it."

His words stab into my heart as I look from Aleale to Nicole. I can't let either of them suffer one of these consequences. This can't be happening. God and I may not have always been on the best terms, but he has truly forsaken me and my family now.

"First, Tony will say which team member the next outcome will be applied to, and then I'm going to set the wheels to what our viewers have voted for the most. Combat, if it comes up, will take place in the new arena we've constructed right next to us and will be a simple duel to the death with one of the bounty hunters from last night's event who was volunteered especially for this because if his performance last night, or I should say lack of performance as he was quick to run for safety. There will be no running from this."

He says duel to the death like it's nothing. Is that a commonplace happening here? It makes me wonder what they've been putting Nicole through. Her face has aged years from the last time we were together. I should have gotten here sooner.

Bryan raises his arms into the air. "We are ready to begin." He walks to me slowly with his eyes burning into mine. Tony, who will suffer the first spin of the wheel?"

It's all happening so fast. I don't have time to think a way out of this, so I say the only thing I can. "I'll take it."

"Why am I not surprised?" He walks up to the wheels. "Ok. The results are in and here they are." He moves them both simultaneously with huge swings of each arm. It gets quiet as everyone waits for the wheels to stop, and when they do, one pointer is on shock and the other on chest. There are a few cheers and claps from the barbaric throng that has formed around us. They remind me of the spectators at car races who sit near the turns drinking beer in hopes of seeing a wreck. They have a morbid sense of fun.

"As you can see, it's going to be an electric shock to the chest," Bryan says. "I hope you're ready for this Tony. I can't imagine how painful this will be.

Electric shocks don't scare me. I've had worse.

"Now... while they get set up, we're opening the voting for the next round, so go ahead and place your votes now." Bryan looks around and frowns. "Guys, where's the car battery? We can't do this without the battery can we?"

I know from experience that a car battery isn't something to play with. He's right. This is going to hurt. Nicole is staring right at me so I put on a smile and shrug like it's no big deal. Her eyes burn with anger and her lips turn into a thin line. She shouldn't see this. These people are sick to make her watch.

After a bit of commotion, they manage to get a car battery with cables next to my cage along with a bucket of water. I can't believe they're going to really do this. Not only is Krieger a gambler, he's also a sadist.

"Ok, it looks like we're ready." Bryan gestures at the group of men standing around, all of whom seem unsure of what to do next, and for once, Bryan also seems at a loss. "Maybe Aleale's former bodyguard, Chris, can help us out. He's as tough as they come."

A large man pushes his way forward. "Bunch of bloody sissies is what we got here. Let an Aussie show you how it's done." He picks up the bucket of water. "Tony, you should know that if you flinch away, we'll have to go and hook this here battery up to your daughter and Aleale too, so just stand still and take it like a man."

There's not a lot of flinching I can do with my hands cuffed to the bars of the cage. He tosses the cold water onto my chest and I ready myself as best as I can for what's to come. A memory of one of my crew members that got shocked on the arm once by a battery comes to me. There was a huge spark and he screamed like a little girl. They had to take him to the hospital.

With the battery cables in his hands Chris approaches me. "Better brace you're self mate."

Bryan is still speechless as I grab the cage bars with both hands and nod. "Do it."

Chris reaches though the bars and jabs the ends into my chest. The jolt slams into my chest like a hammer and all my muscles lock up as the current burns a path though me.

Nicole shouts for Chris to stop, and when he pulls away, my knees buckle and I almost go down. I force my legs to hold me up. There will be no weakness or crying in front of my daughter. Blood is dripping out of my mouth because I've bitten my tongue badly. Regardless, I stand up straight and act like I'm fine, resisting the urge to check the burns on my chest. I'd say something witty and sarcastic to show my contempt for this barbaric act... but my mouth is full of blood. I swallow and keep my mouth shut.

Chris gives me a respectful nod. "See fellas, we got us a real man here. Most of you would be crying like a baby after that." He drops the battery cables and takes a step back looking at me like he would a worthy adversary.

"Are you ok daddy?" Nicole calls out.

I give her a thumbs up, but she's not buying it.

"I'm going to fucking kill you Chris," she yells. "You hear me. And I'm going make sure it hurts. I'm going to make all of you fuckers pay."

Bryan is back at the wheels. "Ok. Now that we all know how Nicolette feels. It's time for another round. So, Tony... who will it be this time?"

I don't hesitate. "Me." I still can't get myself to even consider saying Aleale or Nicole's name. Maybe I'll die before I have to.

Bryan listens to his earpiece a moment. "I have the results, so here we go." He gives both wheels a big spin and all eyes watch to see what my next torture will be. After a suspenseful moment, he slows them and forces them to stop on snake bite to the arm.

The crowd says, "Oooooo."

Nicole shouts, "You better not get that snake near my dad, you mother-fuckers!"

Bryan purses his lips and his eyebrows arch up. "Sorry Nicole, we have too. And I hate snakes, so this is definitely going to give me nightmares tonight. As before, we've opened up the voting for the next round so please place your votes." He points toward the gloved man with the snake. "And now our resident snake expert, Paul, will bring out the snake and introduce him to our hero. Keep in mind that our heroes have a chance to receive the serum if all goes well."

I can't help the feeling of panic that shoots though me. It's a natural human reaction to fear venomous snakes. The reaction is as old as Adam and Eve. Rattlesnake bites usual aren't fatal, I tell myself. And, there's that blue box of antivenom. I might get that later... might. However, Krieger obviously can't be trusted.

Aleale has been relatively quiet, but now she beaks that silence. "You son of bitches better not let that fucking snake bit him. I swear to God, if you do, when this is over, I'm going to fucking hire an army to hunt you all down and fucking blow your asses away. Do you hear me! You all know I got the money. There ain't no place on this world you can hide from the kind of money I got. And that goes for you too Bryan. You think you're saving you're sick ass by helping these fucks, but judgment will come for you too, even if I have to pay a fortune to make it happen."

I'm a little surprised by her fire and sprit. She's a very brave woman, but I don't think it's going to stop these guys.

She's still yelling threats when the door to the Clubhouse opens and a mean looking man with a roll of duct tape walks directly toward Aleale. She's pissed them off now. The sight of the advancing man shuts her up. She is helpless after all.

He calls her a bitch and places a piece of tape across her mouth. Then he produces a knife.