Chapter 15

The morning passes in a blur with my preoccupied mind switching back and forth from thoughts of Jim to the macabre overtones of my unpleasant dreams as I try unsuccessfully to pay attention to my professors at school. Finally, my last class is over and I race home to start getting ready for my date.

An hour goes by as I go through every outfit I own racking my brains out on what to wear. So far, all I've decided is to put on my sexiest panties and bra, but none of my clothes seem right for this date. Most of my outfits are on the Goth side and that's not what Jim's into. Well, what is Jim into? Of course, that's what Facebook is for. In a few moments his page is on my laptop and I'm looking for clues of what styles he likes.

Most of this stuff I've seen before when I've visited his page, not that I've been stalking him, but this time I'm looking for anything to do with fashion. There are references to a few hip celebrities. That gives a clue as to what he's into, as does the list of his favorite music. I'm surprised to see has a link to the band Scarleth Black Tears. Now that's a great band, and it's about as Goth as they come. Interesting... Maybe he likes that part of me after all. Is he a good boy attracted to my bad girl image? Maybe so... I think I'll put that to a test and go with an edgy look for tonight and see how he reacts. If he hates it, he's not right for me anyway.

After trying on four or five outfits, I end up with a black top that shows just enough cleavage to tease without making me a slut, along with jeans, dark plumb lipstick. Finally, I add a silver bracelet with my mom's name, Lilith, inscribed on it. Every time I put it on, I can't help wonder where she is and if she ever thinks about me.

I'm just about to put a black barbell in my tongue to match my left dimple piercing when there's a knock at my door. My Dad calls my name a moment before walking in. "Jaidee and I are heading out for a while. Are you planning on being here all night?"

For a moment, the darkness engulfs me and I am lost. It seems like hours, but must have only been seconds, when the room comes back into focus.

"Nicole, are you all right?" Dad's voice is edged with concern.

"Oh, sure. I'm fine..." Dark energy is pulsing out of him like a fountain of emptiness. I've never see it this strong before. "How do you feel?"

"I'm great." He's positively beaming with excitement. "We're going to get something at the grocery for dinner. Anything special you want tonight?"

My mind is blank for a moment, and then I remember about Jim. "I'm going to the movies with some friends, so I won't be here for dinner."

"That explains why you're dressed so nice." He gives me a wink.

I grin and roll my eyes. "Whatever..."

"Ok... Try not to be out too late. We worry about you, you know."

"Thanks. I worry about you too." Déjà vu descends on me making me feel even more out of sync with the world around me.

He frowns. "Don't be. I can take care of myself you know."

I look involuntary at the leg where he got shot stopping that robbery years ago. "I know Dad. It's just..." I wrap my arms around him to give him a tight hug, as if I can somehow contain the darkness emanating from him. It's so powerful that my body shivers in reaction like an addict getting a taste of the drug she craves so badly.

"Promise me that you'll be extra careful this weekend." I whisper. "It's stronger than ever, like a hurricane of darkness."

His face turns to stone as he looks down into my eyes. "Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can control our destiny. What we can do is prepare and train ourselves as much as possible. After that, we have to try and live our lives without fear of what fate might have in store for us." His wiry smile comes back. "Besides, aren't I always careful?"