Chapter 18: Friends

Mason and I walk over to the bench in the hall and sit down. Ali and the boys start to walk over when I give her a look. She tells the boys something and they all turn and wait there.

"So I see you've made some new friends. That's great." He said

"Yea it is." I respond.

"Look I just.. I'm sorry.. I couldn't say goodbye.. I know we hung out all the time and you seemed like you liked me, but I don't know I didn't know for sure and I didn't want to think this is more than it was. And I thought we'd never see each other again.. so I left.. Because I knew if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to leave after seeing you." His head is down and he mumbles almost the whole speech. I just look at him. I can't think of one thing to say. Not one.

"Mason.. I liked you.. I really liked you and you just up and left. Just like that. How'd you think that would make me feel?" He turns to me. He looks so sad..

"I'm sorry Em.. I wasn't thinking I'm sorry.. If I could I would take it back. I would chose you. Each time 100 times over I would chose you.. If I could just go back.." We sit for a moment in silence..

"I'm just not ready to forgive you yet.. I'm sorry" I try to look at his face but his eyes are glued to the floor.

"Hey, well maybe one day.. Well text me sometime.. " He say I give him my phone and he puts his number in and texts himself. After he gives me a small smile and gets up and walks away. I stand up and head towards Ali and the boys.

"What happened?" Jared asks as a whisper. I look to him and give him a shrug. I pause for a minute looking for the words to describe what had just happened, but nothing came to mind. Then Jared hugs me. I didn't know why he hugged me until I felt the tears stream down my cheeks. I don't know why I started to cry.. I shouldn't be crying. Im not one of those girls to cry over a guy..

After a few more second of Jared holding me I thought. I have practice in like 10 minutes.

I step back and whip the tears. I probably look really ugly right now.."thank you, but me and Ali need to get ready. So we'll see you guys after practice?"

"Yea of course then we'll go get something to eat. Cool?" Everyone seemed to like that idea so we waved and me and Ali headed in.

***

"Okay good job girls see you again tomorrow." Said the coach. All of us? I turn to Ashley.

"Hey, did we all make the team?" I asked with a confused face as we all walked into the girls locker room.

"Haha well we were all already on the team you and your friend are a favor I pulled." She smiled.

"Awe.. Why'd you do that for us? We don't even know each other" I question.

"Well you look chill and we need someone we can fly and your friend Ali is a good base. So it all works out, and we need more people anyway." She smiles again, and I smile back and say thank you again. After I turn and walk to Ali and open the locker. I decided I just wanted to wear my spandex out because Ali said she was, and its what 'normal' cheerleaders do. I threw everything else in my bag and walk to the mirror. I take out my ponytail and brush my hair down. I turn to Ali.

"You ready?" I ask putting my bag over my shoulder.

"Yup lets go"

We walked out and entered the main hall. I turned to look down the halls as we passed them while walking to the front door. We pushed open the doors and now where standing on the cement outside of the school. I looked around only to realize Jared's truck isn't here.