Sugawara Koushi

Sugawara Koushi - Forever alone [2]

Maybe a good 50 years have passed after that incident. Sugawara was now more stoney and quiet. The couple had visited him way too often for his liking. It made him feel uncomfortable. Like someone was shoving what he could not have into his face, barely out of reach.

He rolled his head to the sky to watch a flock of ducks. The couple had died, for sure, long ago. His heart was slightly calmer knowing that, but smarted at the thought of their amazingly vibrant love.

And the temptation to interact with a human girl again gnawing at the very edge of his conscience.

He was craving the affection of someone.

He needed it.

He wanted it.

He yearned for it.

And he needed a good excuse for the absence of his mask.

Sugawara wadded over to the threshold of the banks and sat next to the bridge, waiting.

He probably had been there for days, but no girl caught his eye like the woman all those years ago.

Another lengthy year later, an angel graced him with her presence.

She looked like she was fresh into her 20s, an air of youth radiating off her. She looked like she had not slept in a few days, however. She trudged over the red bridge and ended up leaning on the railings, watching Sugawara. It was once again a cold winter night, almost as cold as that day years ago. The girl stared into him, her tired eyes looked as if they were searching for something, but then huffed and looked away.

She sighs loudly and starts to cry.

Sugawara stares curiously on for a while. And soon she starts to mumble.

"What did I do to deserve this? I just want to be normal! I just want to live peacefully!" The girl screams into her palms, creating a muffled screeching sound. Her tears literally pour from her eyes.

"I'm done with living!"

She gets ready to hurl herself into the river and climbs over the railings. Sugawara, strangely, does not realize her intentions...

As the girl jumps, Sugawara finally reacts, still merged with his river, he moves under her, and with the water still disguising him, he sends a swirl of water under her, freezing on contact, creating an intricate ice throne. The girl is startled and feels the ice under her. She gasps as she accidentally pricks her finger on an icicle. Sugawara starts to appear before her.

"Are you alright?"

She gasps to see a horribly masked boy. Her swollen, red eyes widen in terror. The sight was scarring for her.

"I'm not going to eat you. I am the spirit of this river, Sugawara Koushi. I don't think letting someone drown in my river is very wise." Sugawara lets out a charming chuckle, in hopes of masking the nervousness in his voice. How long had it been since he had spoken to anyone? Had his voice gone husky and scratchy?

The girl's lip trembles. She slowly makes her way back over the railing, knuckles bone white from gripping too hard.

"W-what are you?"

"A river spirit. What is your name?"

The girl swallows. Her fingers drumming the railing nervously, tears still dripping.

"(N-name)."

" That is a very pretty name, if I do say so myself." Sugawara smiles, but it goes unnoticed.