Sugawara Koushi

Sugawara Koushi - Forever alone [1]

Sugawara looked over the river banks from his place on the bridge railing. He was watching over his river. It was midnight and once every few hours, a person might cross the bridge to get past his river. It was always quiet and cold. The moon that night was much brighter than other nights, making Sugawara feel lonelier than ever.

"I know. Please, just give me time to figure this out, Jirou." It was a girl, about 19 or 20 years of age, standing in the middle of the bridge with a man about the same age.

"Seriously! Useless brat! I cannot believe you had to be my fiancee of all the women in the world!" The man lands a tight slap onto the girl's face and walks away, leaving her in tears.

Sugawara turns away. Stuff like that happens quite a bit around his river. Maybe because it was quiet and the nearest house was a mile away. He had seen maybe a hundred girls or guys here crying over their lost lovers. Maybe that was why he was called 'The lonely river' or 'River of tears'. It was not very attractive.

Sugawara sat there on the railing, and watched her cry. She did for a long time now. 10 minutes at best.

"I didn't ask for this... Why and what did I do to deserve this? I should just-" the girl whips around to face Sugawara and she storms further down the bridge to the area where Sugawara sat.

That was the deep end.

Sugawara started to sweat a little when he saw her staring into him. He could feel something terrible was going to happen, so he held his breath with anticipation. If she was going to climb over, Sugawara decided he would interfere.

And she climbed over the railings and stood at the edge. Sugawara appeared on the water surface before her eyes in a beautiful swirl of water.

"Hey! You're not planning to jump in me, right?" Sugawara asked polietly, although he struggled to prevent from sounding worried.

The girl screamed and jumped a little, almost losing her grip on the railing.

"Ghost! Goul! Geist! Devil!" She sputtered as she shivered. Her body shaking like a leaf in the wind.

"I won't hurt you. I am the spirit of this river. My name is Sugawara Koushi. Please don't fall in me and climb back onto the bridge please! I don't want you to get hurt. Even though I am not very deep, if you fall in at that height, you will definitely injure yourself really bad."

The girl shakily complied and hauled herself back behind the railing, eyes locked on Sugawara. He wore old styled, Japanese clothing. His eyes unblinking for the whole time since he first looked at her.

(Name), the girl, said nothing for a long time, and before Sugawara could react, she sprinted off.

Sugawara sighed. It was normal for humans to run after looking at him. The mask on his face was hideous. But it was a spirit's greatest taboo to take it off. It could be done, yes, but it would cause great, well, complications between spirits and humans when they see a spirit's true face.

One thing was sure, Sugawara's mask was particularly unsightly.

That was because he was also particularly beautiful and handsome.

Very beautiful and handsome.

Sugawara makes himself invisible again as an old man approaches the bridge.

Life was very lonely as a spirit. Since Sugawara's river wasn't very long, he could not travel very much, thus, he had very little to keep himself entertained.