Iwaizumi Hajime

Iwaizumi Hajime - Everlasting happiness

"Value the little things in life."

"That's it?"

"Yep, it's that simple."

"So, that's your secret to being happy?"

"Absolutly."

You look down at your hands which were in Iwaizumi's. The little things...

Like a simple kiss?

Like a hug?

Like a box of candy on February 14?

You look at his pale face.

The little things?

That lunch he made you?

That pot of tea that he always makes for you in the mornings?

That card for your birthday?

That daily morning kiss?

Iwaizumi was the happiest person you know. He seemed to be frustrated looking and angry looking a lot, but, he was always satisfied with what life gave him. He made lemonade out of lemons. You admired him for all that. He was always happy.

What about you?

You really didn't know.

You see the glass as half empty.

The dark side of life.

It was Iwaizumi who taught you how to appreciate and look at things more positively.

When he disappeared, all the 'little things' didn't exist no more. For those 'little things' were all Iwaizumi's actions and other things.

You stare at his closed eyes. Oh, how you wanted them open! You glance at his ring finger where the beautiful piece of silver was at. He face, almost miraculously, had a small grin.

He went happy.

But how can you be happy if he wasn't here anymore to give you the 'little thing in life' to appreciate and be happy for?

You glance at his weathered face again.

There he lay, in the coffin. The men beside you waiting to put the lid back on for the funeral later that day.

"How, Hajime? How can I be happy in life?"

Then, as if his spirit never left the body, you hear a voice, thin and deep, "remember my love for you and make new 'little things' to be happy for.

Even in death, so happy.